Notices

Post drinking paranoia

Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post drinking paranoia

One thing I found while drinking is waking up with such worry and paranoia I'd done something stupid or said something I didn't mean and i would obsess about it all day to the point I just hit the bottle again not to think about it and then of course you wake up and the whole thing starts again. Anyone ever had this?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Yes, I was very much like that.

It was my addiction that had me thinking like that, just so that I would go on drinking. Somehow, I had to break that cycle.

As crazy as it sounds, it was a big revelation for me to finally get it that if I stopped doing things to feel guilty or paranoid about, I would stop feeling guilty or paranoid.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, that's a pretty common occurence. And one of the great benefits of sobriety...waking up knowing exactly where you were the night before, what you did.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ha! Ya think? I believe that's one of the tell tale signs of late stage boozing. I believe it is normal for the brain to panic when it can't recall specific pieces of time in a 24 hour period. And then knowing what we know as alchies, well pretty much anything can happen. I'm a solo, bender, stay home drinker (ooo fun!) so I pretty much knew nothing too bad had happened....but how did I get those massive bruises? People die in their homes from falling while wasted. Ugh. Yeah, its awful. But with time and sobriety it gets better.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Ha! Ya think? I believe that's one of the tell tale signs of late stage boozing. I believe it is normal for the brain to panic when it can't recall specific pieces of time in a 24 hour period. And then knowing what we know as alchies, well pretty much anything can happen. I'm a solo, bender, stay home drinker (ooo fun!) so I pretty much knew nothing too bad had happened....but how did I get those massive bruises? People die in their homes from falling while wasted. Ugh. Yeah, its awful. But with time and sobriety it gets better.
Yeah I would wake up with bruises wondering where or how is gotten them. I think sometimes, well me personally would try fill in the gaps in my memory by trying my hardest to recall but it never worked, it can just add to your anxiety/paranoia
Old 11-19-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Absolutely!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yep, that's a pretty common occurence. And one of the great benefits of sobriety...waking up knowing exactly where you were the night before, what you did.
It certainly gives you some sense of normality
Old 11-19-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Completely agree with all the posts in this thread
Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep! Me too!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I sure did. I didn't want to feel the feelings so I would keep in the cycle. You don't have to go through those mornings anymore.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, my anxiety would spike pretty hard after a weekend bender. Not only would I be hungover to some extent, but also feeling an impending sense of doom. My anxiety and depression would be sent into overdrive. How I would generally deal with it, is I would isolate myself from everyone which was not, and never has been a healthy response for me.

My social inconsistencies in regard to the above paragraph ruined a lot of relationships (on top of the terrible attitude I would have when drunk)... Its just not a good life to live.