Notices

Hi I'm Straight

Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Good on you, Straightup!

... ...now tell me, does you really want to love me forever (oh oh oh) or is you just having fun?
Old 11-14-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

No, Cowsie, you caught in a hit and run :-)

Well done, Straightup!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LOL funny how a song never goes away!

Congrats to you, Straightup! I was a home drinker but everyone in the house knew. I can't imagine hiding withdrawals and all that. Good for you. You're child will appreciate a sober Dad and I'm sure your wife does. Out of curiosity, has she asked about the sudden change?
Old 11-15-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Straightup. Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds eerily similar to mine (started recreational, moved into hidden abuse/addiction), all the sneaking/hiding, changing up liquor stores, it all sounds very similar to my experience. Couple of key differences though: (1) you're about 20 years younger than me so congrats on catching it early and (2) I wasn't as lucky as you on withdrawal, I had all the usual fun stuff like shakes, anxiety, insomnia, etc but got a bonus trip to the hospital from a withdrawal seizure. Happened on a camping trip right in front of my wife, kids and friends. Funny thing about our disease though, I continued to drink even after the seizure. Thought I had learned my lesson and just needed to "cut back". That didn't work out so well.

Anyway I'm two years sober now.. Congrats on your 60+ days and if I can offer any encouragement and support just let me know.

Ionray
Old 11-15-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

great post, thank you.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
LOL funny how a song never goes away!

Congrats to you, Straightup! I was a home drinker but everyone in the house knew. I can't imagine hiding withdrawals and all that. Good for you. You're child will appreciate a sober Dad and I'm sure your wife does. Out of curiosity, has she asked about the sudden change?
The day I quit drinking I started a hardcore diet. While drinking I ate whatever I wanted; that being fried foods, fast food, ice cream and lots of soda. So I started a diet consisting of greek yogurt and blueberries for breakfast, kale salad with chicken for lunch and dinner. No more deserts and plain almonds for snacks. I am back to the same healthy weight of 158 when in was 18. I was 190 the day I quit drinking. I was dedicated to my diet. I literally hated looking at myself in the mirror.

So to answer your question. She noticed my change through my diet. She knows that I do not drink at all now. Last night we went to an event with friends with an open bar and I had two mini wins for the night. The first was not drinking at the party (hooray). But the real win was on me when my wife sent me to Walgreens for some items. If this same scenario happened a few months ago, it would of meant sneaking some shots during this trip. But lucky for me i woke up today hangover free. The hangover free mornings never get old.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That's fantastic, straightup!!
Old 11-17-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff StraightUp
Old 11-18-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Reading other folks stories has helped me too. And waking up without a hangover rocks!