Notices

Hi I'm Straight

Old 11-12-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Straight

Hello. Like many others, I have been visiting SR for a while and finally decided to create an account and share my thoughts and my story.

I'm 28 and an alcoholic. I'm currently on day 61. I have been drinking since I was about 17 and heavily for the past few years.

Not going to go in to detail right now to save you all from a long post but just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their stories as it has been inspiring for me to stay sober.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to the posting side of SR Straightup! Congrats on your 61 days, that's quite an accomplishment. Hope you can stick around and join in on some conversation. Consider joining one of the monthly threads in newcomers if you'd like to be involved on a daily basis, sometimes it's helpful to be part of a group that's all moving along through sobriety together.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 61 days! It's an awesome thing that you're 28 and realize you're an alcoholic...you have a long better life ahead.

Congratulations and stay strong!!!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to meet you. Like many others, I only wish I had woken up at your age -- congratulations.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. This site is so great. So many positive personalities. I would like to share my story. Where is the place to do that?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Straightup View Post
Thank you. This site is so great. So many positive personalities. I would like to share my story. Where is the place to do that?
Right here is just fine to share your story. The Newcomers forum is probably the most active forum here, so if you post there you will most likely get the most responses, but positing it right here in the Alcoholism forum is just fine too.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Straitup
Old 11-12-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi Straitup, welcome to SR. There is a lot of support for you here, no matter your background, your current state, or your future goals.

Day 61 is a great accomplishment - don't forget that there are many who will benefit from hearing of your story of success. Well done!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Straightup -- congrats on 61 days-- that's huge!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Great to have you here, Straightup. Welcome.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome
Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Straightup!!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Welcome Straightup! We are glad you joined us.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Straightup :

Everyone here is unique in their posts, pls:

Tell us more about your journeys !

Cheers
Old 11-12-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place for encouragement, Straight. We are here to help.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 60 days straightup

D
Old 11-12-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job Straight. 60 days is really huge. It's all up to you now, just don't listen if that AV starts to talk to you. You have an awesome life ahead of you.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Here is just fine to share your story - l look forward to reading it
Old 11-12-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya straightup, welcome to SR .
Old 11-13-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I will skip the end of beginning if you will of my story. I'm 28 with a wife and 10 month old baby. My drinking started innocent enough by partying with friends throughout high school and college. Slowly the addiction progressed cabs I had become a secret, daily drinker. To this day, NOBODY (wife included) knows the extent of my habits.

At the end I was drinking a pint of rum and four tall cans of 8.0% IPA. I woke up every morning hungover (didn't realize it until now because I had become accustomed to the groggy headed sunrise daze) promising myself that today would be the day I call it quits. As I had proven myself each day prior, 4:30 and I'm in line at the drive their liquor stor. Changing stores daily to hide my shame.

Drink on my drive home, to greet my wife and child. How she never caught on blows my mind. She would ask every so often I find I had been drinking which I always angrily denied. Then make up excuses throughout the night to go to the store or sneak in the garage for more booze. I would hide little shots in bathroom cabinets and only got caught once or twice.

I was honestly afraid to quit. Reading all the horror stories on here of withdrawal scared the hell out of me. But I did it. Quit cold turkey. I figured I was young enough that I was going to be ok and I made it though the sweats, the shakes, the insomnia, etc.

Here I am 60 plus days sober. I actually started this road to recovery the Monday after The Fourth of July. I had one slip two months in and it was bad. A family friend function where i blacked out and made a fool of myself. Haven't had a sip since.
At the end, I was overweight (always been the skinny guy), bloated red face and just unhappy.

And now I've lost 30 pounds, back to my healthy weight and the bloat is gone. I recognize myself in the mirror again. I'm the happiest I've been in a long time. My wife and I are on great terms and I am actually there for my child now instead of blurred memories, I am ashamed of some things one done but will share those another time.

Just want to say the I am greatful for every morning I wake up sober. sober Recovery has been my rock as I haven't done AA. I can't. Nobody knows I am an alcoholic. My wife knows I can't drink because I can't stop but she never knew I was decretly daily drinking.

Thanks again!