Notices

I hide behind the tears of a clown...

Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hide behind the tears of a clown...

Sup SR .

Was just reading through a few posts...

I wanted to give mad props to Sleepie for saying to stay true to herself.

I agree with her fully.. I went on a trip with my family , saw my sister got married, I was sober for a good while but felt so conscience about what to post to you guys after I ****** up. So I feel ya Sleepie.

We know what happens if we drink or don't. Sometimes we just need to vent. I googled this website and I am very glad I found it, I respect all opinions and open to constructive criticism. Sometimes I post for me and only me on this website, regardless of the responses. Its to let it all out instead of doing something Ill regret on the streets.

No offense but sometimes the mods and forum mods get a lil redundant , Ive seen them on most of all posts. Props but just because you have gotten through the "impossible" theirs millions out there who you still don't understand. That's what homegirl was trying to say.

I don't condone drinking , I love my life and Ive made tons of mistakes , I just want some fools to think about what they say, because sometimes to us newbies it seems a lil preachy. Just my opinion.

I hide behind the tears of a clown because they always smile when, its not always like that... specially on a site like this.

If you want to quit drinking, quit mainly for yourself.. but that's all it is. You either do or wont.

Other wise Like Sleepie said, I am going to be me . I pick and choose what I read on here... most of it is just venting.

Only god or your family can judge ya ..

I let music help me through tough times, inspires me to live life without drinking ... that's just me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgT1...fgrXTI&index=5

Cheers Dru -

2 days sober...
Old 11-02-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by dru1085 View Post
No offense but sometimes the mods and forum mods get a lil redundant , Ive seen them on most of all posts. Props but just because you have gotten through the "impossible" theirs millions out there who you still don't understand.
The mods and administrators on this forum are just regular people like everyone else on SR. We struggle with sobriety and life just like you do. None of us have conquered anything "impossible" any more than you or anyone else here.

Our job is to maintain civility and the forum rules of course, but we are also all here using SR as part of our recovery just like everyone else is. Sometimes we might sound "redundant"....along with other long time users. But we do it for a reason - because in the grand scheme of things we many times see what works and what doesn't. It wasn't all that long ago that I was a newcomer here myself and I can tell you that there are a lot of things I "didn't want to hear" that I NEEDED to hear whether I liked it or not. So yes, you'll hear a lot of folks ( and not just mods ) repeating things like "acceptance" and "having a plan" and so forth. But it worked for us and it's worked for a lot of other people to share those ideas.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No need to defend yourself Scotty. I am just telling you how I see it.. I know your a normal mate.. but under your name says forum leader... Doesn't mean you have to understand every single post... like I said .. sometimes we just need to vent and SR is a great place to do so.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The point is to quit drinking, when someone has a slip-up we add encouragement or constructive criticism sometimes both. I know alot of SR members/ mods included, make a point to make sure the post is being replied to, so that the poster is being heard.

We all make mistakes, we all screw up. My first 100 times trying to get sober I slipped or had a full relapse. I don't think anyone here has had a clean sober slate. Or maybe but its very very rare.

Point is, its good to vent, our sobriety depends on it, we can't aim anything on people that replied though, because you put it out there, its bound to get a response.

Hang in there though I don't think anyones here to bring you down.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Hang in there though I don't think anyones here to bring you down." - Holds1325

I wouldn't come to this website if anyone was , id rather log on an MMO or hope on my Xbox one multiplayer.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You and me both dru, especially the xbox one!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dru I really can't be anything other than what I am, like anyone. I'm doing my best and that's exactly what it is, MY best and it's quite a sight better from where I have been, Dee has seen my journey here for a long while and has said I have grown and I believe that is accurate, he has been here a long time as well. I do hope that my posts can be at least cathartic for some, every now and then I wonder am I saying what others are thinking and don't want to say?

I am a messy and imperfect human finding her way like many of us are and no it ain't pretty or easy and this is my way, I had a slip after some months and now I'm back again not looking back and going forth with more sober time under my belt than I've had in years.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I would like to add- the mods and admins on this site VOLUNTEER their time.

They are here, likely at odd hours, to support people who are struggling to literally survive. They give up time with their own families, friends, hold down careers, and have personal issues to handle including their own recovery. I would venture to guess when they are not on this site personally answering our concerns, there are members that they think about, pray for, and hope that they are alright.

There is redundancy for a reason- because it works. Here's what I heard when I signed on here last February: Don't drink. Have a strategy to deal with situations when you want to drink.....then don't drink, no matter what. It clicked on May 14th, after I had several bouts of thinking I could moderate. Because of the mods, admins and old-timers who have walked in all of our shoes one way or another, I got sober.

That was 172 days ago and it has changed my life. Thanks to the generosity of this site I found the tools to get here, and I will continue doing so.

I for one am here to get sober, and thank God I found SR and all of the good people who give their time or who knows how far down I would have dug.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

I dunno everyones got there place. Some parrot the usual things. Some Coddle. Some say it like it is. Some say it this way. Some say it that way. etc...

Maybe everyones situation isnt as unique as they think it is but getting through to a recovering alcoholic sometimes takes a unique perspective. IE the right person could tell you the same things 21321321321 other people told you but just how that one person words it makes all the difference in the world. Or maybe your just ripe for it that day etc...

Everyones got there place tho. Sometimes you need a shoulder to lean on. Sometimes you need someone to slap you upside the head. Sometimes you need both etc..
Old 11-02-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

'I got to be me' is great dru - unless you use that as an excuse to stay drinking, like I did.

I'm glad I sobered up because I rediscovered a me I'd completely forgotten about, a me I never would have know again if I had never stopped drinking.

you seem like a good guy. Don't settle for second best.

D
Old 11-02-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"I got to be me" is how I was staying sober for months, personally.

So maybe use it to that end.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone's trying to be preachy or condescending, I just think that helping others is an important part of keeping oneself sober.

Me, I'm only four months in, I don't have the experience of the long-time sober people, but giving advice (if I can) REALLY helps me to stay sober. It's a part of AA recovery methodology too, so I guess it works for many others too. Can't say why.

If someone says something you don't want to hear, it's because it's something you NEED to hear...nobody understands addiction better than another addict. We know what the AV is telling you because it's told us all the exact same thing many times.

The old-timers and the mods and everyone else just want you to be free because they know how awesome it is
Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If we insist on placing conditions on the counsel offered us by those entrusted with SR leadership, then we also choose to reject the fullness of bedrock principles that have withstood the test of time and proven essential in the achievement of recovery.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

No offense but sometimes the mods and forum mods get a lil redundant , Ive seen them on most of all posts. Props but just because you have gotten through the "impossible" theirs millions out there who you still don't understand.
I missed the context of this remark, but I have to be honest - if I didn't honestly and unquestionably believe the stuff I post here, I probably would have drank this last week.

I had an accident, I was in constant pain , and a little fear too.

My recovery tho was rock solid - and I try to share that with each and every new person I meet here.

You really can live sober, no matter what

I'm always aware that it might sound like sanctimony, rote replies or scripted responses to some.

I hope it doesn't, but I know the power of cynicism - I used to be King Cynic.

I had 20 years of alcohol addiction, more with pot - I've been the lowest of the low.

If anybody really thinks there's something I've forgotten or don't understand I'll always appreciate and respond to a PM telling me so.

I may not agree with you tho

I don't post here cos I like the sound of my own voice tho - honestly.
I just want everyone to have what I have

D
Old 11-02-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think that comes across Dee you are genuine and have enviable people skills here online.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Sleepie

D
Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree that Dru is a great guy - very obvious :-)

I think it's good to have the mods and your doggonecarls delivering the hard line once in a while :-) One thing I've noticed a lot is that replies that are meant for one person in particular can be very helpful to plenty of others who happen to read them too. Nobody's motivation can be questioned, and what may be redundant for one person may not be for another.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Just for self, may I say, after numerous thread about my many failures, rages, relapses, nihilism, nervous breakdown, hopelessness, depressions and total utter disdain for AA, cheerleading, and humanity in general, and plus also, my speaking freely about being atheist who believe life total meaningless ...I has never once experience anything from mods but what I would call welcoming, tolerance and support. Never made to feel I should present anything other that who I is. In fact, early on, when the spiritual folk got on me, and others say my posts is not of value, D was actual first one to has my back.

Yes, they give advices, and throw some reflective question at us sometime, but we all does that. I welcome it. Sometime it resonate and sometime it not. But it always well-meaning. That just the experience of this Cow, who I think surely has got to be one of most negative creatures to ever inhabit SR.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Meant no harm Mods, I was just getting some things off my chest. I truly respect what you guys do here.

Just venting instead of drinking hehe.

Cheers mates
Old 11-03-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think the mods are good here, some of the members can get a little sanctimonious and sometimes I get annoyed.
But they mean well, and I guess it doesn't matter if they just like the sound of their own voice, free speech is a beautiful thing
Xo