Notices

Need to stop before it hurts more relationships

Old 11-01-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to stop before it hurts more relationships

Hi all. I posted in the newcomers area but figured I might as well admit I belong here too. I'm 26. I don't drink every day, but I'm the person who can't stop once I've started - usually it's wine. If I have 1 or 2 on a sunny day after say, a sport, that's fine. But once I feel the buzz, that's when I'm in trouble. The issues really started around 20-21, when I'd go out with friends and black out, or just be stupid... friends have said I don't know my limit. I'm fine, then it hits me all at once. Anyway, I've had a few friends say they don't want to hang out with me if I'm drinking, I've worried my parents a few times, and last night I lost my friend at a Halloween event, lost my phone, and came home totally belligerent, freaking out my parents. It has to end here. As I said on the other post, I feel ashamed for being so young -- as if there's an age requirement for alcoholism, which there isn't. It runs in my family - my mother has issues too. Basically, I just think talking to other people and being here might help me realize it's not something I can turn on and off. I can't try "not drinking' for a couple weeks and think I'll be better. I just have to stop, but I always try to work around it, or tell myself I can handle it. It never works out that way....
Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome soulpower! SR is a great place to find support and those who understand. It's very common to quit for a while and feel like we are "better" but when we return to drinking it's the same old thing over and over again. And unfortunately it almost always gets worse each time.

I went through the same cycle dozens of times, probably hundreds, over many years. Most of us did. For me the turning point was accepting my addiction for what it is and being honest with myself that total abstinence was the only solution. You'll find lots of info and support here on all the different ways we have found to get and stay sober, hope you can stick around and join us!
Old 11-01-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by soulpower89 View Post
I always try to work around it, or tell myself I can handle it. It never works out that way....
If you can accept never drinking again, commit to never drinking, you'll quit trying to "work around" it. You'll accept being a non-drinker. While it seems the whole world drinks, it really doesn't . Lots of folks don't drink. Some drink who shouldn't, and you're in that group. Like us. Welcome.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! If it hits you like that you have to stop or you'll hurt yourself or someone else. Do it now while you're young and you have the opportunity for an awesome life ahead of you. Seriously, many people don't drink, and enjoy life. Do what you need to do.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Soulpower