Notices

An early form of 12 Step recovery ...

Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

An early form of 12 Step recovery ...

Given that AA's program of 12 Step recovery played a significant part in my own and I'm sure many others. Albeit we're all free to choose our own program or path, with the proviso that it achieves the same result bearing in mind that failure to do so at least runs the risk of proving fatal!

I've found the following verse, first seen in Soko Morinaga's book ' Novice to Master - An Ongoing Lesson in The Extent of My Own Stupidity' (a perfect description of me if ever there was one)in the chapter of the same name 'Die While Alive' suggests an early form of 12 Step recovery.

'Die while alive,

Thoroughly die.

Then just do as you will,

and all is right.'

It's origins in the 11th/12th c., the story goes that its author 'Shido Bunan Zenji, was employed as an innkeeper in the family business, subsequently expelled for spending too much time carousing and drinking with the customers....

Nothing was heard from him for some time until rumours began to circulate of profound verses emanating from a hut on the outskirts of a city. Intrigued by this phenomena , a Zen Master, seeking their origins visited it, on stepping inside he found Bunan sitting in meditation and realised he to was in the company of a Zen Master.

Perhaps because the verse reflects the very essence of Zen and I'd suggest, recovery from alcoholism.

Either way it's not bad for ex-drunk who went on to be a highly respected and much venerated Zen Master. Shows what you can do in recovery....
Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post Red I'm loving your posts at the moment
Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
'Die while alive,

Thoroughly die.

Then just do as you will,

and all is right.'
For a while, I seriously cosidered using Zen as a foundation for recovery. However, a typical alcoholic (like me ) will zoom in on the "just do as you will" part and filter out the rest of the message. The problem with Zen is that neophytes will hijack selected quotes out of context to support self-reliance or solipsism, which is about as far from Zen as North is from South.

Zen assumes one has had an "awakening" first. Then, and only then, does doing the next right thing come into play. To skip that vital step would be like skydiving prior to putting on a parachute.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Redmayne.

I like that a lot, yes die to self get rid of old ideas, and re-invent ourselves , thanks for friend invite I accepted don't know if you received it , just to let you know I haven't got round to getting the book that your post is from but it is on my list to do .

Regards .

Stevie