Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Motivation I use when feeling like I'm missing out

Notices

Old 10-19-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'll offer this up because I have found in the past that it did help motivate me, some at least.

Often there are times when I see others partying, or otherwise enjoying alcohol, and I start to feel left out of the fun, or like I want to show them what I can do.

At those times I remind myself that I've already done it. All of it. More times than I can remember. Over and over and over.

At the ripe 'ole age of 44, and having enjoyed a full life, thus far, I can honestly say that I've had more than my share of that kind of fun.

I'm not missing out on anything that I haven't already done more than most. Those days are over now, and I did it as big and as bad as anyone. There's nothing left to prove.

Now I want what's next. I'm only halfway through my time, and the only way I'm going to enjoy the next 44 years as much as I've enjoyed the last 44 is in good health.

Make mine an ice tea.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a good plan if that works for you DH. I'm about the same age as you and I've definitely had my share of those times. I also remind myself that while they seem to be having fun now, they will certainly be much worse for the wear later and for a long time the following day!
Old 10-19-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yep I've adopted that same attitude myself also with weight loss it was like man i want cake but oh yeah I got 21321321 of them on my butt already i dont need any more lol. I already ate my lifes allotment and then some!

its true tho at some point its like been there done that i'm not missing out.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think this too, if I feel left out; I just think that I had more than my share, time to start the next phase of life
Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As an AAer, I only need to re-read The Promises to remind myself of that fact that I've gained far more than I've lost. I've realised that (for me anyway) a lot of the time that feeling of 'enjoyment' and release was more 'relief' because I was drinking and, this enabled me to forget my fear and shame and work / financial failings (generally brought about due to my words or actions or abandonment of responsibilities when I drank before), and this release freed me up so that I could go out and do it again. What a cycle. Now I've had a long enough sobriety to start getting my life in order I have a higher level of serenity and calm all the time than I used to get from alcohol towards the end, plus I've now got some other non-drinker mates to go out with so that makes things a lot easier as well.

Things do get better.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-22-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It took time for me to realize drinking was never fun and that I'm having way more fun sober.