Notices

Alcohol-free beer

Old 09-17-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tea enthusiast

Alcohol-free beer

Hello everyone,
I imagine this has probably been asked a million times before, but I'd like to ask anyway what you all think.
The other day was fairly stressful for me, but ended with a really positive result and on a high note.
I really wanted a beer, I think because the stress of the day had been lifted and and I had accomplished something.

Regardless, I did not allow myself to do it, I had the same old conversation in my head "do it/don't do it" and was firm with myself and didn't give in.

Later on that day however, like perhaps 2 hours, I did buy a non-alcoholic beer. I made a point of checking the can for 0,0% as some non-alcoholic drinks have 0,5% and I wanted to avoid even this minute level of alcohol.

What do you guys think? Should I have avoided the alcohol-free drink too?? and is this something generally considered not a good idea?

Thanks for reading
Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by UKstudent View Post
I imagine this has probably been asked a million times before,
A million and one now ;-)

It's a controversial subject here, the majority opinion leans towards staying away from N/A beer and wine as it leads many back to the real thing.

At the end of the day though it's your call.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try Ginger Beer. It doesn't taste like beer so it's less of a crutch but I often have one with dinner and its very refreshing and for some reason seems to be a good substitute.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

From what I have heard there are few that have a satisfying taste, so I've never tried one. But the bigger reason I never wanted to was it seemed like it would be relinquishing or bending to the AV and its dumbass ideas , I prefer a much stauncher attitude, I'm a nondrinker (.)
Definitely your call, but cmon , really there're that good? ice cold sweet tea sounds way more refreshing
Wish you well
Old 09-17-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It reinforces the mental behavior to drink the real thing.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

NA drinks are way too close to the real thing imho Student
Old 09-17-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been where you are! My drink of choice was wine and when I got sober I bought what I thought was alcohol free wine. When I got home I realized it was "alcohol removed" wine and it has like 0.05% in it. I debated with myself whether or not to drink it. I knew I couldn't get wasted off of it, but at the same time it still had alcohol in it, despite the small amount.
I finally decided that I wouldn't drink it because I didn't want it to turn into a gateway back to the real stuff. The one thing I miss the most about alcohol is the taste of the drinks.
I actually googled how to make a "virgin" Long Island. It tasted real but had zero alcohol in it. I ended up relapsing not long later.

Moral of the story... don't do it. It messes with your head.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you got through a craving without drinking and that is the important thing. Good job!

I never drink NA beer because I hated it when I was a (beer) drinker and it's expensive. I quit drinking to save the beer money!

I'm glad*to report that I no longer drink anything to replace the alcohol. I just drink because I am thirsty, mostly tap water or coffee.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Drinking beer was part of my old life not part of my new
Old 09-17-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm firmly in the "bad idea" camp when it comes to any beverages that are supposed to mimic alcohol. Since I stopped drinking, I'm likeliest to consume water -- or an occasional Diet Coke. And you know what? It does the trick.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't drink them cause I never drank wine for the taste, just for the buzz. Best I don't pretend I'm drinking.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
It reinforces the mental behavior to drink the real thing.
This.

Someone said this to me the other day. I was putting my fruit juice in a wine bottle to try and kid myself that I was drinking wine.

It wasn't a good idea.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah for me the short answer is it reinforces that alcoholic muscle memory...then I'd wonder why I went out and got 'real beer'

Give it a miss - there's SO many yummy drinks out there that won't remind you of your old tipple...

D
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

to me, the answer comes from the fact that you had it.
okay, that sounds weird: you had it for that purpose of replacing an alcohol-beer. you didn't go for a special seltzer, or hot chocolate, or an organic apple juice or iced tea.
no, you wanted beer and went for beer without alcohol.

to me, it's all in the reason for picking this thing.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will take the contrarian position and say that it can help some people, and did me. In early sobriety I would have 1 or 2 of those occasionally, when I really wanted a beer. Like when my ex and I went to dinner and she was having wine. Or when, like you, I just wanted a beer. But I was desperate not to drink real beer.

It worked fine, and created no issues for me - the use of it as a "crutch" got me through the situation. Its important not to obsess on it though. That can lead to rationalizing the real thing. I don't drink them anymore because I can't stand the taste. I much prefer tonic water. It was just a mental thing.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i think you should honestly ask yourself if its a good idea and why.
theres only about a jillion alternatives.
be cautious that just because one or two people say its ok that it will be ok for you.
you might want to search on here for similar threads.
seems a sticky with links to the many threads on this would be a good thing.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi.

Much of the worlds population when thirsty drink a basic called WATER and survive the day in a healthy manner.

BE WELL
Old 09-18-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah all of these posts ring true to me. drinking an NA beer got me thru when i was forced to sit at a bar with friends cuz we were all on vacation together. i had to just watch them all get drunk. but i sure wouldnt go out and waste money buying NA beer to put in my frig. And drinking the NA beer eventually led me back to real beer and booze cuz NA taste is yuk. probably i thought yuk cuz theres no alcohol in it. But mostly i blame the sitting in a bar w/ pals as starting me up again. i feel i shouldnt enter a bar when im working hard on staying sober. end of story cuz that sure started me up again w/ a vengeance too!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My view is why limit ourselves back to beer, there are soo many great flavours out there, teas, waters, juices, open up your taste buds with something new!!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I am guilty of pretending I am drinking alcohol when I am not.

V 8 juice equals bloody marry

Lemon San pelligrino equals vodka tonic

Those have been fairly routine practices.

I didn't think I was craving, but was enjoying guzzling these down like they were laced w booze. Guess I am/was craving.

Working the steps..I swear I am..