Notices

Clear Mind When Off Alcohol

Old 09-21-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clear Mind When Off Alcohol

I really noticed what I like best about staying sober...Is that my mind is clear and focused. And not all fogged over with alcohol itself or a small amount w/ hangover. I like being able to think clearly. Act like a normal human being if I have to be around people. I like having the extra energy and I can actually accomplish things. Ive read 5 books since staying sober and started a painting. When Im drinking I dont accomplish anything like that. I also notice a kind of Peace w/ Sobriety. So I do like staying sober. But I am dreading when a wicked craving hits me. I wish that mess would just leave me alone, man.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like the clear-headed-ness whatever that word is, I like it when I'm travelling and going grocery shopping or whatever, its nice to be able to focus on things like that whereas before I would've forced myself to get up, dunked my head in some cold water, walked out the door and struggled to get through the day shopping meanwhile the whole time thinking "hmm wonder which store I'm going to get my stuff from today"

Its hard to notice things like that in early sobriety sometimes, thanks for reminding me of that!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great you're experiencing the benefits! Keep this post somewhere (maybe add even more to it?) and use it / read again, if you do get tempted. I think we need lots of tools to keep us focussed and acknowledging how good sober feels is a powerful one.
Enjoy! x
Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

Me too, 120 degrees.

I was thinking about this the other day. Check this out: I 1) went to a museum, 2) saw a piece of tapestry in an exhibit that I really liked, 3) the next day noticed a fabric store while walking to a cafe in the morning, 4) went in and chatted and bought some fabric, 5) sought out a store and got embroidery materials, 6) drew myself a pattern based on photos I found online, 7) spent hours trying to get the pattern transferred onto the fabric, 8) learned some embroidery stitches from YouTube, 9) started embroidering myself a purse.

WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED!

3 months ago that would have been: 1) Went to a museum and managed to force myself through one exhibit despite the fluorescent lights making my hangover worse, 2) went home and told myself that drinking wasn't ruining my life completely because I still go to museums.

I feel like two people. Like a parent observing their kid almost. Like very proud but also astonished in a "where did you learn that?!?!" kind of way.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great Holds
Curious what did you read?
Glad to hear you are happy with sobriety!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exactly, FarToGo! Im gonna copy down what i wrote here, and keep it and read when craving hits. Only problem is the wicked cravings are so strong with me, that i wont listen to anything or anyone. Number one in my mind is Buy Alcohol Today. I have a real hard time when cravings rear their ugly heads. Thats why im trying to change my way of thinking. Thanks So Much Everyone!!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by 120degrees0ut View Post
But I am dreading when a wicked craving hits me. I wish that mess would just leave me alone, man.
The longer I stay sober the less frequent and less intense the cravings come. My drinking was personally so bad towards the end that I was simply drinking to keep from having witdrawals/heart palpitations so it wasn't as if I was drinking because I craved it, I simply needed it.

That's my main motivator when I do have thoughts of "having a couple". I know that it will never be "just a couple" - it will always evolve into everyday binge drinking. And I won't enjoy it at all.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-21-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.

"I am dreading when a wicked craving hits me. I wish that mess would just leave me alone, man."

In many years around alcoholics I never heard of recovery coming to anyone by wishing. Praying helps many!

I and others discovered getting sober requires a lot of work coupled with changes. I needed many meetings along with a strong desire to be sober by not picking up the first drink even if my ARSE fell off.

Doing things I didn’t want to do were part of the change I needed to do along with a lot of meetings, said that didn’t I?

Excuses don’t cut it with alcoholism recovery, our sobriety absolutely comes FIRST like it or not.

Too too many don’t make it doing it their way.

BE WELL
Old 09-21-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

I noticed this weekend people just sitting and enjoying themselves at this festival i went to while the kids played. and was like huh other people do that too? its something I had to kinda learn how to do becuase back when i drank i'd just sit there counting the minutes till we could simply leave so i could go home and get drunk which is all i really wanted to do.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
i'd just sit there counting the minutes till we could simply leave so i could go home and get drunk which is all i really wanted to do.
I was there for a period of time. The thought leaves me shaking my head now.