Notices

starting over at 35?

Old 09-16-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

starting over at 35?

hello everyone. i was wondering if anyone has had any experience or uplifting stories about starting over in life. the reason i ask is because my life as i knew it, i burned to the ground from alcoholism. i fortunately still do have a job and a place to live but eventually (further down the road in recovery) i am gonna need to find a new career. it gives me a lot of fear and anxiety cuz i haven't a clue what would be a good career choice for me. ive been attending a lot of AA and working steps with my sponsor and i do believe things will get better and be better than i can imagine. at least that's what the folks in AA keep telling me. just wondering if anyone has had similar experience in this topic. thank you
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I changed the direction of my life at 30 to go to college. Graduated but didn't find anything relating to what I went to school for, and didn't get the management job I thought a degree would get me at the place I was working. So I went back to school to get my Masters. Graduated at 40 and started a competely different career.

You can too. The only thing that appears to be standing in your way is your thinking that you can't.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I got sober at 31 I'm 33 now
Old 09-16-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What do you LIKE to do? What are you GOOD at? Start with that. And work a program of recovery.

I had to work after a couple of years of college, and jumped around quite a bit. Finally completed my bachelors degree at age 32, had a good technical career, masters at age 43. Lots of travel. Stress. Drinking. Quit the corporate life at age 45 because I couldn't take it anymore. Then couldn't find a job, so I became a land developer for awhile and began going to AA. Restarted the corporate life at age 51. It was a lot more work that time around, and I drank some but moderated it. I was in the field. Retired early at 57. Finally got sober at age 58. Living overseas and traveling now at age 60.

My life is not perfect, because I have a very active ego that creates problems sometimes, but I have found that if you embrace life and all it's twists and turns you get to have a lot more fun and adventure. Just don't compare your life to others or some imaginary set of metrics.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

i've pondered the going back to school thing myself but it would take many years lots of student loans and I have 6 kids to take care of. Its a big undertaking. doable yeah I guess but i'd probably stress myself out big time get out of school and have some pretty scary loans stareing at me.

I have ponderd some sort of vocational school tho in my case just dunno what.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My stuff imploded for me at the cage of 44. Got straight. Kept spouse. Had to downsize. Now back in school at 45. I worry its too late occasionally...but you know what? I didn't just roll over and die. -so I have that as a point of pride.

Also, I am about twice the man everyone was used to when I was poisoning myself.

Keep your head up. The AA folks are right about it getting better.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

awesome guys!! thank u all so much for all your positive feedback. gives me a lot of hope at i time when i really need the encouragement!!
Old 09-16-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I began to rebuild my life at 50....4 years later and things are moving well.....

Other friends are doing the same thing; and I believe you can achieve what goals you set for yourself!!!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I began my new life in Recovery at age 55. In November I will have 3 years. Who knew how wonderful life can become? I firmly believe it is never too late. Dropping the alcohol from my life was just the beginning.
Bobbi