Notices

Heads-up to Self (and others)

Old 09-01-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Fini, I am listening to it right now out of my compulsion to follow everyone's music links. (Courage you owe me 4 min of my life listening to the dead hookers for that one Minnie Pearl reference)

Cow really needs to start up a new thread. I had a pants incident today and have nowhere to put it. Tomorrow will be day 1 because I had a slip, literally.

Last edited by silentrun; 09-01-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: OMG I was going to put up a comic pic from the pit and the pedulum last night
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
p***enger

a) the Dead Milkmen. Hookers?

b) are you serious that you drank? Come on, wtf? I'm staying awake until you explain this one, sr. I'm very tired & cranky & slow on the uptake, so please spell things out clearly.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

No I didn't drink. I wear these stretched out Yoga pants when I clean and I was trying to scrub the inside bottom of the fridge when they came down. I was almost finished so I didn't bother to pull them back up. Just then my husband comes into the kitchen. Is it wrong that I would have divorced him if I saw him in that pose?

I took a nap today and had a dream I had drank like 6 months ago. My mind kept saying "you got drunk that one time and it didn't lead you back into being out of control." As I was waking up I was arguing with myself about going and getting a bottle. It took about an hour to shake it off. Something in the air I guess.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
p***enger

Jeez sr, you have a deadpan delivery that the Sphinx would envy. I'll bet your husband likes your bottom better than he likes the bottom of a clean fridge.

I'm glad you posted. This might be a rocky season for me. I hope we all stay close.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Now I have the image of Dan Ackroyd as the Norge repairman in the classic old SNL skit stuck in my head. Tried to find it on youtube but couldn't.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
p***enger

This thread does not officially condone exposed buttocks of any persuasion. Unofficially, I'm not saying.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi snark bunny
I am well. Day 8 for me today. Scared myself good this time but I guess if that's what this kitty at needed, so be it. So I've been sticking close to SR as of late. And close to the chocolate.
You bet your sweet bippy! Wth is that thing anyway!? Googling now....
Old 09-02-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

"It's as if my man Jeeves brought me two silver trays, each of which has a card. One card promises "a decent, well-regulated life with every chance of happiness" and the other promises "misery, pain and degradation." Only an alcoholic would say, hmmm, I'm not sure, that one there on the left sounds interesting."

In the beginning of my sobriety this was my thinking as well and at the same time rejected the 2nd step in AA “return us to sanity.” If I accepted that it meant I was insane! No way was my thinking. It took time for me to realize some of my thinking was from a partially mushy brain.

Unfortunately the above quote is too common among alcoholic thinking people.

BE WELL
Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It is impossible to say how first the idea entered my brain; but once conceived, it haunted me day and night. Object there was none. Passion there was none. ...

how interesting; thanks. the passionless part speaks a bit to the difference i was attempting to pinpoint between thought and desire.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

SR,
i'm grateful i don't have a compulsion to listen to links to music that people post. i hardly ever do; i don't want it stuck in my brain/mind. i hardly everhave the sound on , period.

you poor soul!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Smoking allowed...

Pass me a RED, C, and let's play some pinball.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
p***enger

kittycat, day 9? I hope so. My former sponsor says all you have to do is get to midnight.

I'm now officially mute -- laryngitis. Smoked one in spite of that with you in spirit, Carlos, because I'm a wreckless sort of bunny. The better news is my breasts are still there -- they've been ultra-screened in triplicate and approved. Not that there's that much there, there, but it's still enough reason not to have a drink today!

Here's a good 'un for you, silent run -- turn it up, fini won't hear it anyway

Old 09-02-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey Courage....I really enjoyed that music video.

I'm also one for continuing to smoke two or so cigarettes per day, despite being virus stricken at the moment, like you. Moderation is key, and if we can do that, who can be accusatory without being a hypocrite?! I don't see any difference between that and eating too many doughnuts or anything else for that matter. We all partake in **** that isn't good for us. Questions about quantity, relative compulsion, and therefore 'addiction' are worth pursing. Let's not be silly about things. Everyone has some kind of foible. Some people eat too much. I have a couple of cigarettes per day. There's no difference.

Love you guys!!!!

xxx

Posting one for you, you may know it well, but it's such a beauty.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuc3faQAEs
Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks Tooshabby -- I know that song but never really listened to the band. Just looked them up -- I'm a fan of Yo La Tengo & they covered The Only Ones' song The Whole of the Law: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwFQwV-PYCQ

Peter Perrett the composer has a typically sad story from that era.

I started smoking daily when I quit drinking. When I was drinking I had to save every dollar for liquor -- now I'm free to indulge in a variety of other vices!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Beautiful!!!

:-)
Old 09-03-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
quat

Take the savings from not buying liquor and try ecigs /vaping great harm reduction and ooh the flavors, got I nice berry/ melon mix with a kick of guava going now, mm. Better than any red I ever had , or El Rico Habana.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks, dwtbd, but I dunno about vaping -- it doesn't feel like me. I've quit an awful lot of things that feel like me, and I kind of suppose I'm clinging to this one: standing on the corner with a cigarette in my hand, me & all the other persecuted New Yorkers who aren't allowed to smoke anywhere anymore. We're not even allowed to smoke outdoors where I work, even though it's a public sidewalk we get hassled sometimes LOL.

I like to give a light or a smoke to a stranger, it's an easy conviviality. Did you know they'll pay $1 a smoke? But I usually don't charge them, unless they shove the money in my hand, which they do, sometimes. I'll give a smoke to anyone if they ask nicely.

I prefer regular, but I smoked menthol mostly when I lived in the midwest. I used to steal Kools when I was 12 --there was a girl at my school who kept a carton in the bathroom where we had our coats. You could smoke in my school. Later, when I was in my 20s, me & my students would go in on packs of Newports together. We called them straights. That was on the south side of Chicago.

I could go on and on about cigarettes. Like 40 years of smoking & I never got addicted to nicotine -- I have some kind of nicotine-resistant gene, I guess. Turkish, Players, Gauloises, Larks -- I loved Larks -- Camels, I had so many phases. I wish I could write like this about drinking, but it's probably not a good idea. As it is, I hope I'm not triggering any former smoker. This *is* the alcoholism forum, not the Stop Smoking forum.

Smoking is one of my open trashcans. Do you all know about the trashcans?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Nope. Tell me about the trashcans. I'm all ears

I used to smoke menthol when I was about 12 too. Now it's a couple of rollies a day. Can't do tailor-mades. It's like the difference between instant and real coffee to me.

dwtbd....I managed to quit successfully on the e-cig too, but went back to it. I've got that nicotine resistant gene too . I've had stressful weeks when I've smoked like a train and then when it's all over can go for days without one. Strange.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Great thread....I actually heard myself say to someone a few days ago...."Maybe in a few years I can have a few glasses of wine here and there" I probably should have added "then a week or so after that every now and then I can run to the all night grocery to grab some vanilla extract because the w/d will be so bad and that's about all you can buy at that time"

For some reason I have always struggled when the seasons change. Even from winter to spring.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Great thread....I actually heard myself say to someone a few days ago...."Maybe in a few years I can have a few glasses of wine here and there"
I think the single most annoying thing I do is when I'm really really tired, I ask my husband if I can drink. It's so stupid -- he answers whatever he answers - he can say 'yes' and it doesn't matter -- or just looks at me, and then I go to bed.

More about trashcans, and autumn too, later. Doesn't anyone know about the trashcans?