Notices

Hair Loss

Old 08-18-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hair Loss

I stopped drinking regularly a while ago, but my hair is still falling out. I know it's probably due to a mineral deficiency, because I was drinking too much to take care of myself properly for nearly a year, and the food I was eating was of poor quality.

It's frustrating because I started eating a healthy diet again, yet I'm still going bald. I used to have beautiful, long, thick hair, but now it's thin, dry, and stringy. Furthermore, my hair hasn't even been growing back properly. I dyed my hair in September, and it's only grown out about 5cm during the time I was drinking heavily (normal is around 15cm).

There are worse results from stress and alcohol, however I just wanted to mention this because I haven't heard it mentioned before.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try using some biotin and ensure that you are consuming enough protein.

I have hair loss issues too and need to be careful about my diet due to my eating disorder and alcoholism. I find that biotin helps .
Old 08-18-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Give it some time Dunkel. I believe you were still drinking as of last month, correct? If you haven't had a full checkup since you quit that would be a good idea too - if you are truly deficient in any nutritional area a plan could be put in place.

It takes more than a few weeks for our bodies to recover from all the abuse we put them through.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dunkel, I would consider having your thyroid checked. Not just TSH levels, but free t4, t3, and antibodies. Alcohol can greatly alter one's hormonal system, and hair loss is often a sign of thyroid issues. Be sure to also up your B vitamins and eat a clean diet with plenty of protein. Nutrition is incredibly important -- what we put in our bodies is apparent on the outside.
Yellow
Old 08-19-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took at least a full year for my hair to improve. You can't change what's already hanging there, but the vitamins do a great job for the new growth.

Also, your hair thins as you get older, alcohol or not...
Old 08-19-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LDT

I don't know how long you've been sober, but after my hair fell out, it took about a year for it to grow back normally. I drank green smoothies almost daily and hair, skin, and teeth improved dramatically.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
😇

Mine fell out from drinking and one of my medications(to control cravings). Biotin really does help.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have noticed some recent hair loss but then I'm a 35 year old man so it could be about 'that' time. I'm pretty sure all the boozing is at least 50% to blame though. My hair was so thick only a few years ago but recently I've seen it all over the floor of every room in the house. 3rd day sober so I won't find out for a while I guess.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I had that problem, but in time, it started growing back and I'm now 54...

give time time and heal!! you are worth it!