Notices

question for the ladies

Old 08-16-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question for the ladies

Did anyone get irregular periods that went back to normal after they quit drinking?
35 days alcohol free thanks.
I already know all about perimenopause.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, my period were all over the place and it was annoying. My doctor and I decided that if it didn't resolve within 6 months that we would just suppress the suckers by doing continuous birth control (I used the ring). I was struggling with cramps, etc. and when you have that going on 2 times a month (two periods in a month! What??) you are willing to take all kinds of routes. For the following two years I just used those rings continuous (the doc had to push it through my prescription coverage) but it was wonderful not having periods and even better, no cramps! I eventually needed a partial hysterectomy but not due to my alcoholism, I had been obese for years prior to getting sober and I was dealing with prolapse (uterine and bladder) so they took the uterus and left the ovaries…no, I don't miss periods, cramps etc.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi sleepie;

I actually had the reverse--hot flashes / irregular issues when drinking but now pretty normal since sobriety, though I'm entering perimenopause stage of life

Great job on 35 days!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi sleepie!

I went through an early menopause (40 yrs, all said and done!) so no experience here for your question but.....woo hoo, 35 days!!!

Way to go, sleepie!!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Absolutely for me. That's all over for me now, but I can remember when I was 21 and drinking heavily, they were all messed up. The month before I stopped drinking that first time, I had my period just about every day. It eventually normalized as I sobered up.

Congrats on the 35 days!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi sleepie,

Congrats on the 35 days, I'm glad to hear

My periods tended to be sometimes very irregular while I was drinking. Alcohol is well-known to interfere with the normal production of female hormones (and others). Malnutrition, that often accompanies heavy drinking, likewise. I also sometimes had terrible PMS (with physical and emotional discomfort) at levels that I almost never experience sober. I am not perimenopausal yet, in fact I am pregnant with no complications so far What can happen, I think, is that when we quit, it takes a while for our internal physiological balances to normalize -- we often speak about brain chemicals that influence mood and motivation, but other mechanisms as well. I imagine that if someone is currently undergoing natural hormonal changes, the whole system is more sensitive to whatever external changes as well (i.e. stopping a long term steady alcohol supply).

I would say take a trip to the doctor for a blood test and other checkup if you are worried, that can never hurt.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input ladies.
Been to the doctor and gyne more times than I care to remember this year.

Guess I'll just wait and see. It's only been 5 weeks or so...
Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi . I hope you don't mind I'm posting this a bit off topic but I would love to hear if some of you had the same. As for periods they never need regular in my life , I have the condition which just doesn't let it to happen, but anyways . The question I have , I hear girls saying all the time how alcohol would help them to relax before intercourse and many of girls would be super turned on after drinking. I never ever experienced that, actually it would put me off to even kiss or have any kind of intimacy, I never understood how can anyone be intimate while drunk because for me all those feeling were non existent. Was I the only one like this ? Btw when I'm sober everything is just fine with that matter
Old 08-19-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
😇

Mine were all over the place. I had a uterine ablation a year ago, no more periods, cramps, or bloating
Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Gjess
You may get more answers if you post a thread about it- I don't know how many will be coming through here and/or reading all the responses.
Although for my 2 cents sounds like you are better off sober... like most of us here