Notices

The Illusion

Old 08-13-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Illusion

If you oversimplify things you could say that most people drink to change the way they feel and by using alcohol they are just falling for an illiusion. Alcohol seems to work but its effects are short lived and almost always slammed into reverse when it wears off. Most people discover that they feel the same or even worse when the initial effects subside.

One has to wonder why so many people fall for the same illusion for so long. I think it's because the brain gives more importance to the pleasureable aspects and blocks out the bad effects to one degree or another. This may be why so many won't stop until the bad effects are so great that they can no longer be ignored. Any thoughts?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My partner always said to me he thought I would give up when I appreciated that the bad effects were outweighing the good, and he's a very wise person. I have an impulsive side to my nature which lead me to gravitate toward instant gratification. That never helped.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

" I think it's because the brain gives more importance to the pleasureable aspects and blocks out the bad effects to one degree or another. "
That's true. But a lot of people don't do that calculation very often, whether they will be happier in 7 days if they drink today. They just want to get through the next few hours.

Your thought is very wise, calculating the benefit to your own happiness if you drink or don't drink. For me, that type of thought and analysis was impossible until i was able to quit for 30+ days, and could actually refuse to drink. Because then i struggled with wanting to drink and having to tell myself No, and then deal with the mental pain that comes.

It's when we suffer in mental pain, suffer without using alcohol to relieve that suffering, that we start thinking how our own happiness works. And only then can we start to think as you are, calculating the benefits, and living life with pain when we know we could get rid of it for 2 hours.

I feel like a hungry fish, and a giant bottle is hanging from a hook in front of me. I have to resist taking the bait. I know the bait will feel good for a short time. But then that time passes and the hook rips deep into my throat, and i cough and puke. And then the line pulls me in the opposite direction i was swimming.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being alive, awake and aware is pretty great stuff compared to being under an illusion.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mpr

It's because we're alcoholics and we are drinking for one reason or another even if it's unbeknownst to us, a void, depression, pain, whatever it may be.

We trade temporary alleviation for pain at a later point. As addicts were think about the now and give no concern for the later. Once in recovery we think about the later. All AV cares about is right now, just once, once more, stop tomorrow etc.. That's how I see it at least and its super duped a lot of us it seems! Thus stuff doesn't happen to normal folk who drink.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ive said from day one of my sobriety that alcohol is nothing but an illusion. Thats the insidious part of this disease. You will drink yourself into the grave beleaving alcoholism is the only way to get thru life. Its sad and sickening.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very interesting post. The sauce is nothing but a stealthy liar who can trick anyone. Why would even so called non-alcoholics still ever drink again after experiencing the hell of a hangover? I think the reason I do it over and over again is that I'm still in a bit of denial that I can achieve the same buzz I felt at age 22.

It's just never going to happen and coming to grips with that is tough. However, the buzz achieved now makes me forget my problems momentarily yet it leaves me in a hellish place the next day and days after.