Notices

Am I an alcoholic? Really need help.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"If you think you might be an alcoholic, you probably are" and "look for the similarities, not the differences" are things I heard a lot when I got sober.

My drinking was heavier than yours, Laur, but it only took one black-out for me to get sober at 24 years old. For me, alcohol was a coping mechanism. And then it suddenly turned on me and I was in a position where I was going to lose a job and the place where I lived. Today, I have actual tools to use when dealing with life to where I can solve my problems, with the help of people in the rooms and my higher power.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mpr View Post
One thing though, you say you have a problem but are not an alcoholic yet. You may not be one yet but I'll tell you there is a very, very thin line between having a problem and being an alcoholic. The line is often so blurred it is hard to distinguish one from the other.
Definitely. I know it's a thin line. I'm going to have to do some soul searching and really be honest with myself and ask myself, "What was going on when I was drinking? How did I feel when I was drinking? Could I control it? And did I feel that craving, the allergy that alcoholics feel after one drink?"

Originally Posted by dox View Post
I can still tell myself that it wasn't that bad, my self-medicating: my drinking.
But, that's just part of my denial.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

There are those of us who baulk at step 4 and never come back.
So, I say again:
Well done.
I'm going to really have to examine myself and see if I'm in denial about my drinking.

I was talking to my sponsor last night about my fears of not being accepted back into program because I still don't identify as an alcohol and she told me the same thing. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." I have the desire. I can't be using drinking as a coping mechanism. I need the spiritual experience and fellowship of the program for the times when I feel alcohol is the only answer.

Step 4 has been really tough. Having to feel those resentments all over again and examine my part in them-- terrifying.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greens View Post
I would definitely check out some sort of Counseling for depression and look at the smart recovery website.
AA is great in a lot of ways but when it came to my dial diagnosis smart is what really helps me. I am diagnosed ptsd with anxiety and depression, there is definetely a correlation between my depressive episodes and my binge drinking and drug use. Smart gave me tools to cope with that.
But definitely seek out therapy too if you haven't done that already
Thanks, I'm going to look into that!

Originally Posted by PurpleDan View Post
"If you think you might be an alcoholic, you probably are" and "look for the similarities, not the differences" are things I heard a lot when I got sober.

My drinking was heavier than yours, Laur, but it only took one black-out for me to get sober at 24 years old. For me, alcohol was a coping mechanism. And then it suddenly turned on me and I was in a position where I was going to lose a job and the place where I lived. Today, I have actual tools to use when dealing with life to where I can solve my problems, with the help of people in the rooms and my higher power.
I think looking for the similarities and not the differences is going to be key when doing this program again.

I really look forward to having the tools to use when dealing with life. That's my main motivation for coming back