Notices

My Story of Moderation

Old 08-09-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

That is a wonderful post. You are a very gifted writer. The subject is a very serious one, but I found myself chuckling throughout. The insanity of alcohol, huh?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

That was a fantastic read Melinda!!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I've been able to make a good show of moderation during the good spells, but on the whole I am not capable of really doing it. I've found that what begins with an innocent beer with dinner will steadily escalate into a house full of empties and a lot of regrettable memories. When I am in full swing, I can easily put away more than a 6 pack before dinner time, though it doesn't seem unusual to me, and I rationalize that the drinks have been spaced out over the course of the day, so I was never really drunk for any of it. Somehow I don't notice that I've begun to drink excessively until I see the empty bottles piling up on the kitchen counter. My personality begins to degrade, as well. I am a very mean drunk and it is the people close to me who deal with it.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lssnheer View Post
I've been able to make a good show of moderation during the good spells, but on the whole I am not capable of really doing it. I've found that what begins with an innocent beer with dinner will steadily escalate into a house full of empties and a lot of regrettable memories. When I am in full swing, I can easily put away more than a 6 pack before dinner time, though it doesn't seem unusual to me, and I rationalize that the drinks have been spaced out over the course of the day, so I was never really drunk for any of it. Somehow I don't notice that I've begun to drink excessively until I see the empty bottles piling up on the kitchen counter. My personality begins to degrade, as well. I am a very mean drunk and it is the people close to me who deal with it.
I haven't decided whether or not to try and moderate yet, but if I did I would set a fail-safe of never drinking at home, alone, under my own discretion. I never did have a problem going too far when I was out.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dswa View Post
I haven't decided whether or not to try and moderate yet, but if I did I would set a fail-safe of never drinking at home, alone, under my own discretion. I never did have a problem going too far when I was out.
Yeah, that's the way I used to barter with myself in the early days. Only one bottle of bourbon per week, or only drinking on the weekends, etc.. The rules were always short-lived and the results were generally poor. I've only had success with abstinence, really. There's no in-between.

More recently I've gotten better at cutting off before I am imbalanced and slurring. I can get myself to the threshold and hold it there. I guess that's because I just don't like puking or feeling super sick. I think I can cap it because I have never blacked out before; for some reason my mind is not capable of it, even when I've been too drunk to walk or speak clearly I've kept memories the next day, and I absolutely hate the feeling, both during and after.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Great thread. As with many, I can totally relate. Thanks
Old 08-10-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

excellent post Melinda and everyone else who kept this going.
I never attempted moderation myself. Well kinda maybe. I drank lite beer when I didn't feel like drinking. So instead of getting hammered on six it would take 12...

What I wanted to comment on was the needing more to feel it. Eventually I would get up in the morning a just take a couple big swigs from the vodka bottle and wash it down with beer. I already knew a beer wasn't gonna be enough to start the day. Sad but true...
Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Love this....got a few paragraphs in and was already overwhelmed! This moderating thing sure sounds like just the solution!

Sadly, it's the terrible mouse on a terminally spinning wheel feeling that's just so very horrible....yet we tell ourselves we've got this, we can handle it.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:16 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bump
Old 08-14-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Moderating alcohol is like moderating tobacco, if you can do it then it will be a simple task and if you are finding you cannot do it then accept you cannot do it. Easy to say but not easily done for a lot of us, for the simple reason is that we want to keep drinking. I had to be done with drink to be able to remain sober, not because i thought i should, someone else thought i should or for any reason other than i didn't want to do it anymore.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by Scd619x View Post
Moderating alcohol is like moderating tobacco, if you can do it then it will be a simple task and if you are finding you cannot do it then accept you cannot do it. Easy to say but not easily done for a lot of us, for the simple reason is that we want to keep drinking. I had to be done with drink to be able to remain sober, not because i thought i should, someone else thought i should or for any reason other than i didn't want to do it anymore.
Abstinence, indeed. You have to be all in.

It's the only way to ever enjoy a sober lifestyle if you're an alcoholic.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:57 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanks for bumping this post up Dee, otherwise I wouldn’t have seen it!

Really great reminder for me that moderating will never work. At a little over 3 months sober, and feeling good, I really needed a reminder why it won’t work for me.

Great post!
Old 08-27-2021, 05:49 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

A George Carlin quote (probably not exact, but...)

Drugs make you feel like a new man.

The only problem is

the new man wants some too!-
Old 08-27-2021, 10:07 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

This is so good. Thank you for bumping, Dee. Great writing and so true.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:07 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Moderation really does seem like a great plan.
i had blackouts in my 20's and moderated my intake down until I was in my 30s and drinking at home but that was moderated by only drinking X or Y or only 2 bottles or only any other excuse presented by the alcoholic mindset.
somehow I ended up binge drinking for several years and eventually I was back to drinking everyday, couldn't tell you how much, I just needed more to make it go away (!!!)
finally I came full circle and found myself 20 years on repeating the same cycle of drinking to make my problems go away, creating more and bigger problems for me and all those around me.
i was in despair when that final drunk kept haunting me and I couldn't cope with taking a drink anymore.
I found SR and AVRT, didn't leave the house for 2 weeks and I'm still on the sober bus.

thanks for sharing this 'that was me' post
Old 09-24-2021, 03:10 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My first sentence there is my AV 🤔
Old 09-26-2021, 02:40 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Bump
Wow, does this ever sound familiar to me!
Old 09-26-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Great bump, Dee. Can’t tell you how many times I said I’ll only have this one drink. It’s impossible for me. Exhausting, quite frankly.

I read this somewhere here years ago: Alcohol-ism
ism= incredible short memory

which is why you should continue to nurture your sobriety. Don’t take it for granted.