Notices

Cant help feeling like a blow out

Old 07-13-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
Don't assume that you can ever choose to go back to the "fun" period of your drinking career. If that was the case, I doubt any of us would be here. Those that "make it" do so because we have accepted that there are no short cuts, vacations, or do-overs when it comes to alcohol. We do what we have to stay sober, or we die.
Exactly. Thanks Eddie.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
The first few things that came to my mind, reasons I can't have a blowout:

1. I couldn't do one more HANGOVER. Ever heard of kindling? My hangover would last for a week.

2. A week later I'd want another blowout.

3. I would be throwing all my hard work, progress, growth, and healing down the toilet.

4. If I drank again, what I would get would not even resemble what I might expect. It would be a huge disappointment of sickness and regret.

No thank you.

And about the old AA saying, "if you can't remember your last drunk you probably haven't had it yet...?"

I remember my last drunk clear as a freakin' bell.

(370~ish days later)
Thanks Melindaflowers, I remember my last drunk too, had 3 months off and decided to try and have a controlled drink, I was hospitalised within 48 hours with a nasty gash to my head. I still have the scar so it's pretty hard to forget it. You are completely right in what you say. Thanks
Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful

One more here...had 7 years sober and decided to have a blowout (really just decided to have a few beers). It lasted for 8 years and almost killed me. My experience is that the idea of going cold turkey after the blowout is just the AV blowing smoke up your arse.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have a fear of the 'Around 2 year' mark...I am almost there and when I read posts like yours it brings my fear into my reality..
Let me explain, I had a bad opiate addiction, decided to never use again, and blew it at 2 years, the cravings and desire were something else...I got lucky I just had the one blow out and never used again...I mean lucky, I had such a bad experience after so much hard work I literally got scared straight. (over 30 years ago)..
...Smoking was the same, relentless desire at about the 2 to 2½ after quitting... real grit your teeth stuff, I stayed quit with the help of 'Allen Carr's' book and online support. That was 6ish years ago..
Every time I started drinking again the fear I had as I would struggled to quit or slowdown was "What if I can not quit, what if this is the one that takes me"...what sort of madness is that!? Alcohol was controlling me.

My heart goes out as I read the struggles of those with a couple of years sobriety trying to regain some leverage after a relapse.

IDK, I have tried to find something specific about the 2 to 3 ish year mark online to no avail.
I would be interested to hear if others have had this experience as well.