Notices

I'm 28 and an alcoholic

Old 07-10-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm 28 and an alcoholic

I'm 28 and fighting the battle of alcoholism for the last 10 years. My whole family has been fighting this battle as well. I actually want to do something about it. A little scared, yes. Am I dependant, very much so. I am a vodka drinker. And very scared my little girl that's on the way won't have a dad to see her graduate high school. I live in Elgin IL so if anyone has an idea where I can get help. Please let me know. I'm on the verge of losing everything due to this devil that has a grip on me. I'm unemployed, broke, and people to take care of but know I can't if I don't take care of this problem that takes all my money. From the bottom of someone's heart please help!!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey William,

Nice to meet you. Your post jumped out at me because 28 years old was the exact age when I realized fully that I had a really serious problem with alcohol. I got sober at 32. 28 is the perfect time to turn it around and move on with life.

If I could give you some recommendations for early sobriety it would be to fill the time you spent drinking with "sober stuff." For me, that meant logging on here and reading lots and lots of stories. When I'd get a craving I'd log in here. Take it "one day at a time."

I found that I did need some tools above and beyond myself to stop drinking and stay stopped. If I didn't have some form of support like this forum, I imagine I would have talked myself into drinking at some point. I think it's really important to have some kind of continued support.

You can do this. Life is actually much better without drinking. There aren't the highs and lows, peaks and valleys. You don't have hangovers either. That one is my favorite.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome William! You have already found a fantastic resource for recovery in SR, and you can learn about many more too. I would be willing to bet there are many AA and other meeting based recovery groups in your area too, just look in the front of the phone book or Google. Sobriety is possible for anyone, you included. You just need to find a plan that works and do the work. Hope we can help you find one!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome William! You found a great place for encouragement as you begin this journey.

I knew at 28 that I didn't drink like a normal person. I wish I'd done what you're doing - my life would've turned out so different. I continued trying to manage it for many more years. Be proud that you've made this important decision to save yourself from destruction.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome William

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

You might also want to check out our Class of July support thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-7.html

D
Old 07-10-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and sending care. I wish I had stopped at 28.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, William - I'm glad you've found us. Stay close and keep reading and posting.

Don't take that first drink, no matter what!!
Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

A little scared, yes. Am I dependant, very much so.
Dont be scared. That fear can drag you right back to the bottle if your not careful.

Keep hanging around here people will rub off on you. nothing like being sober for the kids. My oldest ones remember all my drunken days but my younger ones dont becasue i sobered up. Its nicer having kids when your sober. Try not to feel too much guilt about your circumstances just turnt he corner and move forward down the sobriety path and the rest will start to work its way out for you.

Take it slow keep it simple just one day at a time.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi & Welcome William
Old 07-11-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

I’ve been a sober member of AA for a lot of years and it’s been a lifeline for millions. There are other helpful methods available but the main thing for any of them is sticking with whichever one chosen every day because alcoholism is progressive, powerful, cunning, baffling and insidious. It’s a disease that will stalk us for many years by telling us untruths like we can have one because we deserve it because………..

You can do it even with bumps on the path to recovery. Keep coming!

BE WELL
Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and please contact your local AA group.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by William7387 View Post
I'm 28 and fighting the battle of alcoholism for the last 10 years. My whole family has been fighting this battle as well. I actually want to do something about it. A little scared, yes. Am I dependant, very much so. I am a vodka drinker. And very scared my little girl that's on the way won't have a dad to see her graduate high school. I live in Elgin IL so if anyone has an idea where I can get help. Please let me know. I'm on the verge of losing everything due to this devil that has a grip on me. I'm unemployed, broke, and people to take care of but know I can't if I don't take care of this problem that takes all my money. From the bottom of someone's heart please help!!!!

WELCOME William!!

From the bottom of my heart I wish you success in this journey! Many here have given you some good idea's of where to start.

I wonder if you realize the strongest motivation you can have is bringing a new life to this world. One that will one day look back on this first post of yours and be so very proud of her father for loving her enough to turn his life around just to provide a safe place for his little girl.

So many have been unemployed and broke ---God finds a way to help those who think of others instead of themselves. You will find a way with the help of your belief in some higher power ....and your beautiful little girl.

If you do it for .....LIFE will find a way. It always does--trust me!

Congratulations to you ,your wife and family on the birth of your baby girl!
Please visit here often for support! We are always here for you!
Trix
Old 07-11-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.