Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

sober 6 days...any success stories on first attempt of sobriety?

Notices

Old 08-29-2004, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dianna

hi,my name is Dianna and I've been a daily beer drinker for about 7 years.About 4 months ago I had had enough of the misery and thought about stopping.I attended a few a.a. meetings,with no intentions to stop right then,I just wanted to see how people were doing without alcohol in their life.I was truly amazed at the courageous people and the love and warmth that was in those rooms.I wanted to stop and I knew it would change my whole life.I had no real drama in my life to wake me up to my problem,heck,I only drink when I get home from work,have never drank hard liquor,never had blackouts or gotten into trouble with the law,havent missed any work due to drinking so I tried to convince myself I didnt have a problem.Well,last weekend I had had enough of all this self-rationalization.I felt empty(which I have been for awhile)didnt care about anything or anyone,hated myself,drank all weekend,went to work Monday morning and left at 10 a.m. went home and drank all day,cried,called my ex-husband(he's and alcoholic but has been sober for 3 years) of course I was drunk,and just let out all my anger and unhappy and hopeless thoughts and he looked at me and said "it's time for you to go to a rehab center,you need some help". I scared myself so bad I woke up Tuesday morning and said ,this is it.This is my day.I quit.I'm turning myself over to a higher power,do with me what you want,but I will not touch another drop of alcohol.Well,its been 5 days,the first three were absolutely miserable,cried,felt physically uncomfortable,felt hopeless,minf in a fog but I think it was withdrawal symptoms.To make a long story short,has anyone remained sober on their first attempt? I intend to never touch another drink in my life,and I'm doing things to help me on my path(attending a.a. meetings,doing alot of reading,reading inspirational things,taking one day at a time,thinking how miserable I was when I was drinking,I never want to be like that again) so if anyone of my s.r. friends can give me some inspiration please do!!!!!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi roxie and welcome!

Fellow beeraholic here, our drinking patterns and situations are near identical. I got to the point I knew I had to do something as well. Didn't have any of the horrible "yets", so many must endure, but like you, was empty, lonely, miserable, and that misery would only be enhanced the next day with a hangover. So yea, I found this site, saw the hope and a week later went to AA.

I've not had a drink since the day I arrived, and with hard work, honesty, the blessings of my program, I know it can be a great life sober! Stick with it, it works!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Step working member of AA

I have some SOLID advice. Do the Steps!

Alcohol was your solution, it was all our solution. It made us able to talk to people, it was the social lubricant we all desperately needed. It filled the void known as the "spiritual malady". Why else would some liquid poured in our bodies make a difference in how we felt about ourselves?

Since your solution became your problem, and you had to put in down, you need a NEW SOLUTION. That solution is a spritual awakening. It says in the 12th Step: "Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of thes steps..." This means we have to do all the steps to get the awakening. What you have now is temporary relief. But to turn that into lasting peace, we must " follow a few simple rules" (Doctor's Opinion), the Steps

BTW-- this doesn't say "Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of 90 meetings in 90 days." That is not going to get you to your new solution. The Steps will.

Hope you choose the Steps
Old 08-29-2004, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((((((Roxie)))))))) Glad you could make it. Lots of success stories first go round. Hope to catch up with you in chatroom soon. By every form of self deception they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule............ pretty well sums up my switching brands, times, and seats on the titanic. Glad you can throw away the shovel before digging as deep a hole as many of us have had to. You are the inspiration my new dear friend, not me.

((((((((((Roxie))))))))) Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
Three Legs
Old 08-29-2004, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Roxie.
How is is going??? I am a 36year old married father of 2 wonderful daughters. I have been sober now for 12 hours and am thinking the same things that you are on this site. I don't really remember the last 2 days back to back that I haven't had a drink. I think about it all of the time and am in desperate need of help. I want to quit but am having a tough time as I always think, "what's wrong with the occassional drink". But as Dr. Phil says, "hows that working for you". Are you interested in being e-mail pals to get through this??? My e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi Roxie - and Fmario too. I just wanted to wish you all the best for your journey.

I tried to stop many times before I succeeded , but I have only gone 6 days once... now it's 440 or thereabouts. One small step, followed by another.

Keep on stepping.

Deg.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dianna and welcome! Yes... all the love and warmth in those rooms really helped me feel like I was welcome, and I could finally let go of my problems without being judged. I am still sober on my first honest attempt to quit drinking. I owe a lot of my recovery to working the program of AA.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Subtle yet overstated....

Hi Roxie, I also went through all the stuff of which you're talking! The first week was really miserable but then it started to ease up. 904 days ago was my first attempt at getting sober. I woke up that sunday morning and said, "This is it. I've had enough". I haven't consumed any alcohol since. I've stayed sober through the fellowship of AA and it has worked very well for me. The most important thing though is the firm commitment to stop. Without that, nothing will work too well.

Glad you've made a decision to change your life! It's worth more than I can possibly tell you, so I guess you'll have to stick around and find out for yourself!!

Hang in there it gets better!
Tim