Notices

Need to hear that sober is better.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to hear that sober is better.

Hey. New here. You seem like a nice bunch of people. Basically decided to quit drinking today. Talked to a counsellor about it. Too many hangovers and "did I do anything stupid" day after calls. I quit once for Lent and really liked being sober. Not sure why I went back. Anyway ...

Like a lot of you I can quit for awhile and then convince myself I "overreacted" to the problem and can drink moderately, only to end up with a soul-searing hangover again.

What helps the most for me when contemplating abstinence is hearing from people that have done it that life actually is better sober, and that it's worth the trip to the land of abstinence. There was some of that in a post not too far below and it really helps.

So, I am humbly requesting comments from any of you who are sober and happy about it.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2004, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gava,

NOt particularly sober from drinking, but I have had to detox from other addictively damaging behaviors that were sabotaging my life. That was enough reason to abstain to me. The drama, trama, choas, and consequences kind of were a very convincing sorce of information for me. I don't want to be addicted to anything. I am having to keep checking myself for even spending time here on the internet. Moderation is usually the key if control can be maintain. But if that can not be mastered then, I recognized it with the quickness and make decisions.

Thanks for letting me share my story.

WIshing you well in your choice to remain sober. It's all on you and believe it or not the power resides on the inside of you to do. You already know that results of your choice not to. Will you let that be a sufficient reason is the question. Is the pain of using more painful than not using, if so then you may have hit your bottom. It's all in your perspective.

Take care.

Keep posting, and you will be celebrating days of sobriety in no time. Keep hope alive.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((((((Gava))))))))
Life is so much better for me sober than I ever thought possible. Love to speak more here in message boards but have some other fun stuff to do after meeting obligations first. Hope to catch up with you soon in chatroom here. Please check out the Alcoholics Anonymous Links on SR as I think that might help you a bit as well.

Enjoy your New Day of Sobriety,
Three Legs
Old 08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Originally Posted by Gava
Hey. Too many hangovers and "did I do anything stupid" day after calls. I quit once for Lent and really liked being sober. Not sure why I went back. Anyway ...

Well that seems like a pretty good reason that you said yourself.

We could talk about how the hangovers, no more of them. We could talk about how today I never wonder "what the heck did I do last nigth". When I wake up today, I know who is sleeping next to me, that is a really good thing .

My mind is clear, personnaly for me I work a 12 step program and attend AA and NA, that is what works for me, it is not the same for everyone.

You said you liked being sober in the past. I would suggest that you write down what you liked about it. It is was easier for this addict/alkie to think about the good reasons to stay sober.

I have more gifts in my life today than I ever dreamed I could have. And I would have none of them if I ws still drinking or using.

Stick around, get to know people, you will see/read alot of reasons not to drink.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Gava
What helps the most for me when contemplating abstinence is hearing from people that have done it that life actually is better sober, and that it's worth the trip to the land of abstinence. There was some of that in a post not too far below and it really helps.
Hi Gava, and welcome.
It was worth every ounce of effort I put into getting to the land of abstinence, as you eloquently put it. It wasn't always easy, granted, but I have such a big life now, compared to when I was still drinking and doing other drugs.
I had tried several times to stop on my own. But it's not until I asked for help from others like me that I managed to start clawing myself out of the hole I had dug for such a long time.
Today, after much work, I have better coping skills to deal with challenges. And the best gift of all is that I am present for my life again.
Glad you're here.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((((((Gava))))))))
I've some time now as a sponsee no showed on me this morning and opened my day up to some other options. I am in chat now, but I've already invited another member, still practicing his drinking presently, to visit me there. If you wish, it might help me to hear what you have to say about your own situation in case the guy doesn't accept the invitation as well.

(((((((((Gava)))))))) otherwise feel free to Private Message me if you wish.
Three Legs
Old 08-26-2004, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
just j

Gava, I don't know about you but what Dan just wrote will keep me sober today!! I too am just discovering (out in the open) that there is a problem between alcohol and myself. I too have given it up many times before and then felt better and gradually started again only to find myself back in the same place as before no matter how hard I tried. I too gave it up for lent and for four pregnancies....I remember being very happy in those times and very focused. I was not depressed, I was not anxious nor confused. I was more self confident. It is not only the hangover, but what it did to run my mind and personality. It just was not me anymore. Alcohol seemed to bring on depression, anxiety, low self esteem and irritability even on the nights that I did not drink anything.

I have decided to stay sober today because I am a better person when I am not drinking.

Welcome and hope to see you back! Jalyn
Old 08-26-2004, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Gava, welcome. I don't know where to start describing how much better my life is sober. First of all it's 9:30 pm here - I would have been unconscious by now!
Keep up the work, you're in for a treat.

Deg.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((GAVA)))-

I am 19 yrs. sober and loving it!!!! The first 6 months were the hardest cause I was detoxing and changing my behaviors..... I sure don't miss the hang overs. I still vividly remember my last one. I had been clean for 3 months and drank a fifth of tequillia and hurt for almost 2 weeks. It's like the song says(all my rowdy friends have settled down) "Hangover hurt more than they used to".....

Best wishes to you it gets better really!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to everybody!

I really appreciate your thoughts. It's getting pretty bad. The hangovers have had a huge element of despair and hopelessness lately. Work is slipping which causes big stress. I've alienated a few friends, too. Whole days without getting out of bed.

Who would want to give up all that?

My best to you all.

(And Jalyn, I definitely hear where you are coming from).
Old 08-26-2004, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Gava,
Here's a thread that others and I add to periodically. The first part is a list of some of the benefits of sobriety:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=27181

Welcome to SR, and thanks for posting!
Don S
Old 08-27-2004, 08:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums Gava.

I am sober going on seven years now and I do not miss alcohol.In fact just the thought of taking a drink nauseates me.

What keeps me going is that I remain focused on recovery at all times and stay close to people who are not drinking and hearing people share about their experiences in sobriety helps me to remember where I am coming from and how much I don't want to go back.

This forum exists for the exact reason you described and believe it or not your post has helped to keep me sober today.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome

to SR, Gava.

I don't have a whole lot of sober time, so ditto to what everyone else said.

I did like your reference to "did I do anything stupid last night?" I'm glad I don't have to ask that anymore! Usually it was asking my wife, was I an :*******: last night?

Congrats on your decision, stick around and enjoy all of these wonderful people here!

Ken
Old 08-27-2004, 11:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
to SR, Gava.

snip
Usually it was asking my wife, was I an :*******: last night?

Ken
and when she doesn't even answer and just gives the look we know it's time to make some changes....

Don S
Old 08-27-2004, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Right on...

...Don -- didn't usually get a blank stare, I usually heard about it!!!! :argue:

Glad I don't have to go through that today!
Old 08-28-2004, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
just j

How are you doing, Gava? Did the benefits outweigh the disadvantages (there really are NO disadvantages except for those in our own minds)

I am hanging in there and hope you are too!

J
Old 08-28-2004, 07:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Hey Jalyn!

I feel great! This is the first Saturday that I've had a clear head in ages and ages. You know, it's amazing that once you get just a couple of days out of the "cycle" you get such a feeling of relief and peace. Is being sober better than being drunk? Obviously!!

Now, I understand the concept of a "pink cloud," and also that there will be challenges, cues, urges, cravings, ups, downs, feelings. But I'm cool with all that. I've made a decision and announced it to a few people (my regular bartender almost fainted, I swear -- they may have to lay some people off). I'm going to live with it. Really live, hopefully.

Anyway--this place helped and helps. Glad you're hanging in there, too!

G
Old 08-28-2004, 08:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Gava and welcome,

Well I will definitly say life sober is so worth the work. I had a hard time accepting sobriety in the begining, I had a lot of dialogue with my self over "should I, shouldn't I, can I, why me, but surely.."... I knew as hard as it was this is what I had to do.

It takes work, courage, honesty, and a lot of support, so yes, it does get better as the time goes on, and sobriety is nothing to fear anymore for me.

We're glad your here!
Old 08-28-2004, 08:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((((((Gava ))))))
I feel great! This is the first Saturday that I've had a clear head in ages and ages. You know, it's amazing that once you get just a couple of days out of the "cycle" you get such a feeling of relief and peace. Is being sober better than being drunk? Obviously!!
Right on Right ON RIGHT ON!

((((((((Chy :smlove2: )))))))))
It takes work, courage, honesty, and a lot of support, so yes, it does get better as the time goes on, and sobriety is nothing to fear anymore for me.
Yeah Baby! It is something to embrace.

Three Legs
:tri
Old 08-28-2004, 08:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Castaway

there will be challenges, cues, urges, cravings, ups, downs, feelings. But I'm cool with all that.
You can do it Gava! You too Jalyn! Have a great day.
Sandy