Notices

Update on Day 1

Old 05-19-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on Day 1

Another new day for me. Woke up, exercised, and now have to go run an errand.

I did feel like drinking today, but I didn't because I knew the consequences would be too great.

It's so weird. I never thought that I would be dealing with this issue in my life. It almost feels like a living nightmare, and I can't believe that it is happening to me.

I canceled my counseling sessions with my therapist. I told her that she has been very helpful with my gambling, but that I now need to work on a plan for my alcohol sobriety, and I believe that I need to find the answers for myself.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have a therapist whose expertise has proven helpful in other parts of your life, why not stick with her? Reschedule the meeting.

We need to use all the tools at our disposal. Toughing it out on your own has proven a challenge for you, JustBreathe. Take advantage of the help a professional can offer in addition to your own resolve.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree...why remove help at a time when you will most likely need it more than ever?

Did you read any of your posts from last night or the night before by chance?
Old 05-19-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd keep the counselor. If she was of help in the past, give her a chance to help again.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
If you have a therapist whose expertise has proven helpful in other parts of your life, why not stick with her? Reschedule the meeting.

We need to use all the tools at our disposal. Toughing it out on your own has proven a challenge for you, JustBreathe. Take advantage of the help a professional can offer in addition to your own resolve.
The sessions were making me feel more stressed out. I need to take care of myself right now. Other people don't have the answers, we have them inside of us.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Have had strong cravings today but only because I drank yesterday. Just trying to keep the focus on myself right now and not think about other people or situations.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Even my sponsor told me he really does not have the answer for me, as he said I am in a difficult situation in living with another active alcoholic. As I said, however, I just need to keep the focus on me right now. But this is obviously easier said than done.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found counseling to be probably the main reason I was able to stay quit, because it helped me to understand my emotions, dysfunctional behaviors and how I stuffed my feelings. Also how a program of recovery involves more than just not drinking.

I also put the priority on myself, which involved moving out of a living situation with someone who drank every day. I simply could not sit across from someone drinking wine or beer at dinner, or see those cold ones in the fridge without indulging.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are right.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm impressed that you can quit and your significant other is living with you and still drinking. Everyone here hid their alcohol - I like to think it was out of respect for me but they may have just been protecting their stuff! LOL.
Keep it up!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is difficult. When my husband gets home from work tonight, I am going to have a discussion with him because I need more support from him. I told him on the phone today that it was very unhelpful for him to drink before and during our movie at the theatre. And I know his mother explained this behavior by saying that this what alcoholics do, but I told my husband that I won't go the movie next time.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Okay, everyone, I am going to bed. My husband asked me to watch a movie with him, and I told him that I was tired and needed to go to bed. I told him that I have to start taking better care of myself and not just worrying about making him happy. I told him that I have to be able to take care of myself in order for the relationship to work.

He laughed but was fine with me going to bed.

Goodnight everyone, see you tomorrow on my Day 2!