Notices

Sober vacay success!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kingtarquin

Sober vacay success!

Made it through my first sober vacation. It was an uneventful yet fulfilling vacation hanging with mom and dad. I went back to my hometown of where I grew up and without going to the bars and socializing it was quite boring yet in some strange way gratifying. This is the first time I have truly noticed how my parents are aging and time is running out on spending quality time with them. It scares me because I felt like I have missed so much time with them due to my abuse of alcohol and being so distant emotionally and physically. I live in hawaii and it is hard for me to get back to often. I feel like I have missed something with them. I don't have any children and I'm not married nor am I in a relationship and I feel like the future holds a lonely existence for me. I know it's just my emotions kicking in I just wish there is something I could do to not feel so lonely. I mean I feel ok now but I worry about the future and the near possibility of not having any family to call mine. I suppose this is the post vacation blues. I think I'm scared of time right now and I need to learn how to cope with Father Time accelerating rather quickly. I just needed to rant and to those who listen thank you!
116 days sober!!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi King, huge congratulations on getting through your vacation sober. I'm sure it meant a lot to your parents, even if they weren't fully aware. In your sober state you've coped with some emotions you might not have even known were there. Now you have a chance of facing and dealing with them, and maybe doing something to secure your future.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kingtarquin

I think that's why it scares me because I really don't know how to do that yet. However it is a work in progress. Any advice I welcome and I hope everyone knows it is truly appreciated whether you know me or not.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Kingtarquin View Post
I think that's why it scares me because I really don't know how to do that yet. However it is a work in progress. Any advice I welcome and I hope everyone knows it is truly appreciated whether you know me or not.
Look I know if sounds facile, but you can Google 'how to make friends' or 'social anxiety' and you'll often get very reasonable advice written by mental health providers. It's often a case of common sense (like join a hiking club etc), but if you have trouble getting out of your cocoon, like me, you could see a therapist who is willing to coach you through the process. It helps if you've got someone to give you feedback and encourage you.
Apparently finding a mate is largely dependent on how many people you meet in a social context, but if you're shy then maybe you need some encouragement.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats

On 'wasted time'...I've done more in eight years sober than the 20 years before that...live today for today and you won't regret it KT

D
Old 06-13-2017, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kingtarquin

Back to square one.

So much for success. I have done it again. Lost complete control of my drinking and no one around me can tel or at least cares to tell. I hate reaching out on this site because it becomes a broken record. I don't know what I want from anything anymore. I have lost my passion and just the thought of daily activities haunt me so I lay in bed all day. Blah blah blah, like I said a broken record. I can't remember what sobriety feels like so I keep pursuing the bottle of so called comfort.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Kingtarquin

why not use this site regularly for a while?

get some ideas, support and encouragement to stay sober?
you could do worse?

D
Old 06-14-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kingtarquin

I am gonna try

Honestly this sight is somewhat confusing just to post rants and communicate or should i say reach out for help can be confusing. But I will try. Thank you
Old 06-14-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you have any questions just ask KT
D