Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'm done, when did you guys start feeling better?

Notices

I'm done, when did you guys start feeling better?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi,

I drank and smoked about the same as you and I'm about the same age.

The great thing about quitting drinking is that many of the positive effects (for me anyway) came quick.

I felt better the day after the day I quit drinking and progressively better each day. I felt really good at around a week and on.

I did not have physical withdrawals.

After a couple months, the changes were more subtle like my memory started to really improve.

I did not quit cigs and booze at the same time. I felt better from cigs pretty quick too but I quit cold turkey so it was hard to distinguish "feeling good" with all the withdrawals I had.

Its hard (for me) to stay quit from the beer, I drink out of boredom and then when you start feeling really good you get tempted by the voice. It says things like "See you don't have a problem" or "This is so good it'd be even better with a drink!"

I had the worst booze cravings around the 3 month mark. I think for me it was the point where my "self" realized this was really going to happen and it was going to be permanent.

Best of luck.

CJ.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Went a few days, felt great. Drank tonight because I'm a dummy. I'm not gonna beat myself up up over it because this was proof positive I was on the right course.

It doesn't feel the same. Just felt crappy from the beginning. Like "ugh, this again". Like going back to a bad girlfriend and after a couple hours realizing, oh that's why you left

Starting fresh tomorrow
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I should also add that while I did toss and turn at night and not sleep well, I did feel better than I did drinking myself to sleep. 4 hours of sleep sober was better than 8 hours of beer coma.

I'm gonna assume the sleeping gets better. I just gotta give it time.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryan9119 View Post
I should also add that while I did toss and turn at night and not sleep well, I did feel better than I did drinking myself to sleep. 4 hours of sleep sober was better than 8 hours of beer coma.

Agreed. There were a few nights really early on where I did not sleep at all, hopped in the shower, went to work and while not feeling great by any means, NOTICEABLY better than the standard hangover with sweats and jitters. Took a nice long nap when I got home.

My god, I can't believe I used to go work hungover every day.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ryan,
When you say that you used to fall asleep with "beer coma," does that mean you were able to fall asleep immediately? The only reason that I ask is that my husband is able to fall asleep immediately after drinking, whereas I could not fall asleep immediately after drinking and would feel restless for a few hours before finally maybe getting to sleep. That is one of the biggest reasons I had to give up drinking, as trying to get to sleep was a living nightmare, in addition to the anxiety the following day from the hangover.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah, if I drink I fall asleep immediately. If I don't, I toss and turn.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Ryan
Old 05-07-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ryan9119 View Post
It does get better, and it's a fantastic benefit of sobriety. It took me a couple of weeks to start getting back into a somewhat normal pattern, but even then it was far better than waking up every night when the BAC dropped below that magic level and I woke up only to toss and turn the rest of the night.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think that once I quit drinking and smoking pot other things started working as far as getting better sleep. Without drinking I never woke up at the wrong time feeling paranoid or sick. Exercise worked better for making me tired. I took regular naps, as opposed to "weed naps" or "hangover breaks" and woke up feeling improved. Also, you can't really go to a doctor and say "I'm having trouble sleeping (or anything else) do you have anything that will work with heavy drinking?"
Old 05-08-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

After my last 2 week period of sobriety, I felt real good at two weeks, but unfortunately started again. I am back on the wagon now. All I want to do is sleep.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needanewme View Post
After my last 2 week period of sobriety, I felt real good at two weeks, but unfortunately started again. I am back on the wagon now. All I want to do is sleep.

Start again. I did, feel good this morning, woke up at 6 am and didn't have to work till 11. Felt great
Old 05-08-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Glad that you are feeling well, ryan; keep on.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Bump

I'm giving sobriety another try and this is my day 7, and I also quit cigarettes at the same time. I don't feel at my best physically. Tired and achey. I think I have a kind of slight cold also which hasn't helped, but I can't tell whether it's a cold or whether it's the detoxification symptoms.

I am not sure how noticeable the positive effects are going to be for me, perhaps I am somewhat doubtful this time about how much better I will feel.

The reason I am doubtful is that I have already tapered down a lot since January. I haven't been drinking as much or as heavily as I used to, yet I still feel like the booze and fags are keeping me from feeling on top form physically. I think the question is whether I will still see a big difference from regular, moderate drinking and smoking to zero drinking and zero smoking. I suppose to answer my own question I probably will, but I need to be patient and I will start to feel more alive.

The other kind of realization I had was, ok, it's good to quit drinking and smoking, but it's not gong magically improve everything. I also need to focus on eating clean and working out.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sorry for the second message; just want to get some thoughts of my chest.

I suppose I am just tired of always chasing an ideal version of health. One where I wake up feeling energized, and happy, one where I rarely get colds and illness, and where I feel happy everyday, and am always in a good mood.

I realize I am forever 'wishing' that I could feel like the above, but somehow I feel trapped in this cycle of feeling like a total bum, I feel tired in the mornings most days, I have low energy, and I rarely feel grateful or happy to be alive. Most weekends I am just immobile on my couch or bed doing nothing.

I've realized that alongside sobriety I need to start having some more hobbies as well. I want to wake up on the weekends at the same time I do in the week and do more. I feel like a total bum just passing the time at the moment.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don;t expect too much too soon would be my advioce George. It would be great if we felt awesome after a month - I'm sure many more people would stay sober - but for many of us that's just not the case; many of us drank for years.

It takes time to get over the damage we inflict on ourselves mentally and physically.

For me it was 90 days before I felt anywhere near normal again and then a few more months before I felt consistently good.

For people used to the instant gratification of the bottle that wait can be quite a challenge...but it really is worth it.

Keep the faith - you will feel better eventually - no one would stay sober if they didn't
Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot Dee.

I think it's the very start that can be the hardest I guess. Once you start feeling better in a mental, physical and spiritual way, then it becomes positively reinforced that what you are doing is worth it. I have quit before and have felt better, so I know it will happen. It's just being patient enough to see it through.

I just am tired of feeling tired and really hoping to feel more alive and awake.

If I had to put my finger on it, that's what I feel I am lacking: that sense of being awake, alive, invigorated. My senses and day to day experience feel quite numb right now.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

When I was going through it it felt like forever, looking back-it feels like just minutes. I found that treating myself well-good nutrition, a lot of fresh air and exercise helped.