Notices

Elevated liver enzymes?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Elevated liver enzymes?

Today I celebrate a full week sober!! I can't believe I did it. Although it comes with it's downfalls such as feeling every single emotion because of these raw, sober induced feelings. I am also very depressed. Hypersomnia. I even sit in the shower and let the water run over me. Lots of tears and loneliness.
So battling this UTI. 2 trips to the ER, 2 doctor visits later I was told that my blood panel at the 1st ER visit contained elevated liver enzymes. This wasn't even caught at the ER...it was finally recognized by a PA.

Before I freak out, wait I already am....how humiliating!!!! More than likely it is because I have an alcoholic liver my bloodwork was done a week ago, so I'm ordered to go back and get another test.
Oh the shame! The humiliation, the grief!! It's caught up to me, all at once. (
Old 04-30-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had elevated liver enzymes as well. I found out, because every now, and again I would have to go to the hospital, because I would have a hangover (or so I thought) that lasted a week or at the worst 16 days. It actually ended up being something more serious. But my liver has been healing itself little by little, even by just cutting down on drinking. Now that I quit I can feel a major difference. The liver has the greatest regenerative capacity so if you can stop drinking it will likely fix itself.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The body has a pretty amazing capacity to recover once we stop poisoning it. A week sober is a great achievement. The test results themselves can be scary ( I had elevated enzymes at one time too ) but listen to your doctor and things have a way of working out. Especially if you keep up the good work and stay sober.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also, congratulations on a week sober. That is a big accomplishment. Just keep it up, and try not to worry yourself to much, like I said it is fixable.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The PA also mentioned something that it could be hepatitis related?!
Ugh I'm so sad. Sick, sad, stressed.
I'm worried about my new job. Employers are so impatient and unforgiving. I'm so replaceable and I looked for a year and a half for a good job. (
Old 04-30-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I had elevated levels as well within 3 months they had returned to normal. Amazing how healthy we get when we stop poisoning ourselves
Old 04-30-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do not want to worry you, because it COULD be. That does not mean it is, but I did have Hepatitis C turns out. I was a heroin addict for years though so it is a different scenario. If it is it is not the end of the world. I live a normal life with it. Not to mention they have treatment for it, and also it can go into remission. Do not worry until you know for sure, but it really will be okay.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amandamarie View Post
I do not want to worry you, because it COULD be. That does not mean it is, but I did have Hepatitis C turns out. I was a heroin addict for years though so it is a different scenario. If it is it is not the end of the world. I live a normal life with it. Not to mention they have treatment for it, and also it can go into remission. Do not worry until you know for sure, but it really will be okay.
Thank you for sharing your story. I will try not to worry, but more than likely I will especially since I'm 35 weeks pregnant...
Sigh
Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calypso17 View Post
Thank you for sharing your story. I will try not to worry, but more than likely I will especially since I'm 35 weeks pregnant...
Sigh
I feel really overwhelmed with what's been happening this week and other aspects of my life despite my sobriety. Totally down in the dumps :/
Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I feel really overwhelmed with what's been happening this week and other aspects of my life despite my sobriety. Totally down in the dumps :/
You have a lot on your plate. Taking care of yourself is of utmost importance now. A week sober is fantastic of course too, build on that success knowing every day adds up to healing both physically and mentally. Have you spoken with your doctor about how you feel? Don't rule out counseling, it can help with many of the issues you are dealing with.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know it is hard not to worry, and when I found out I was a mess. But it has been 2 years now, and life did go on. But it really could just be from drinking. Alcohol can do that too. Did you set up an appt. to get a blood culture done to find out?
You may be worrying for nothing, and that is not good for a baby. (congratulations by the way!) But if it does end up being Hepatitis medicine is so advanced now a days, that it really can be dealt with. Also, a lot of people just fight it off. You will be okay, and if you ever need anyone to talk to I am here. I have been their and I know this is scary for you. Just try to focus on good things, like the miracle in your belly, and keep your mind off of it as much as possible until you know for sure.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I had elevated levels as well within 3 months they had returned to normal. Amazing how healthy we get when we stop poisoning ourselves
Same here, and I've heard this many, many times from other folks too. Very often, liver damage is temporary.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

1 Week is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 05-02-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all!
My OB is like a phantom. She's so hard to get ahold of, always out of the office, nobody knows where she is, her time is extremely limited. Good ol' healthcare.
I'm too ashamed to bring it up to her....that my elevated liver enzymes are because I'm an alcoholic and I'm extremely stressed out. Oh lord I can just imagine the look....
Before her I had a GP, then in the last trimester my health insurance switched me to her. So I haven't had a chance, or the courage to tell her of my disease. Authority is scary. I'm a skilled artist at avoidance. I'm a puppy trained to walk with its tail in between its legs.
I forgot to get my lab slip today so I will have to do that next week. Hopefully my guilt won't get the worst of me and I will follow through with my lab work to see if my liver is doing ok. Again, avoidance.

I'm on my 8th day sober! I try not to give myself too much credit because of all the repeated failures in my past. I'm like a broken record. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result. Yep that's me.
But to think I've made it 8 days is quite a feat. You all help so
Much too. I am grateful
For this site!
Old 05-02-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 8

D
Old 05-02-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on day 8

D
Thank you!!
Hoping to turn my usual sloshed Saturdays into sober Saturdays!
Old 05-02-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you!!
Hoping to turn my usual sloshed Saturdays into sober Saturdays!
That sounds like a fantastic plan. Someone is always here on SR if you need support.