Notices

A friend visited last week

Old 04-29-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A friend visited last week

As I've posted here quite a few times, I am working at moderating my drinking. A family friend came into town last week - I had not seen him in about 4 years. He used to always be a pretty big drinker - I used to drink with him, but could never keep up. I think he has gotten a lot worse and now I definitely can't keep up with him.

He was here for three nights. Each night he drank no less than 10 tall boys (16 oz) plus a bottle of wine. He'd get a little drunk, but not blacking out or stumbling. Then in the morning at 6:30 he was raring to go - no hangover, nothing. How is this possible?!?

I'm wondering if this is a regular occurrence for him or if he was just partying since he was in town. I'm hesitant to say anything to him. My wife was really worried about his health.

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

His relationship with alcohol is something only he can control, i'd leave it to him to determine what actions to take.

For your own sake i'd also be wary of your second statement about how he can drink so much and seemingly be fine the next day - you could certainly use it as an excuse to keep drinking yourself.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
His relationship with alcohol is something only he can control, i'd leave it to him to determine what actions to take.

For your own sake i'd also be wary of your second statement about how he can drink so much and seemingly be fine the next day - you could certainly use it as an excuse to keep drinking yourself.
No way. I've been down that route and have no desire to go back.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I agree. Your friends drinking is his business. Unfortunately moderating drinking for an alcoholic is like being a little bit pregnant. Once I was pickled I will never be a cucumber again
Old 04-29-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cocaine? Seriously who knows, but I certainly can't do it. The last few years when I've drank, I have 2 day hangovers.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

You need to sober up before you get a hangover. Take it from an old booze hound, the wall will come fast and hard with that technique. It's just a matter of time.

Don't let your friend affect your alcohol intake.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I know some one like this as well and I don't get it given his ability I'd imagine it's a regular I occurrence regular non alcoholics don't drink like that and just get up ready to go he's worked up to this level I'd imagine
Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How does one work at moderating their drinking? I think thats this disease working on killing you.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
As I've posted here quite a few times, I am working at moderating my drinking. A family friend came into town last week - I had not seen him in about 4 years. He used to always be a pretty big drinker - I used to drink with him, but could never keep up. I think he has gotten a lot worse and now I definitely can't keep up with him.

He was here for three nights. Each night he drank no less than 10 tall boys (16 oz) plus a bottle of wine. He'd get a little drunk, but not blacking out or stumbling. Then in the morning at 6:30 he was raring to go - no hangover, nothing. How is this possible?!?

I'm wondering if this is a regular occurrence for him or if he was just partying since he was in town. I'm hesitant to say anything to him. My wife was really worried about his health.

Thoughts?
I don't get it.

First, as you state (and have stated in past posts), you are working at moderating your drinking, so I don't know why you would come on this site.

Second, your friend drinks a lot, but doesn't appear to get extremely drunk and doesn't appear to have a hangover, the next morning. You want our thoughts on that I assume? Why, because you're worried about him?

As I said, I don't get it, but I'm not sure you get it either.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What are you looking for with this post?