Notices

76 days later

Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

76 days later

76 days sober today. I dont know why but I cant stop thinking about having a drink. Beer,Wine,Liquor....I keep thinking its going to be amazing to just have one night off. What I always fail to realize, is that for me one night always seems to turn back into a constant daily binge and much harder to stop. This has been the longest Ive been sober since I was on Deployment in Afghanistan which I dont count so longest in over a decade for me. It feels like I'm just holding my breath whenever I'm sober and the longer I am the more I need to "breathe" again if that makes sense.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Matt congrats on 76 days craving urges are common in early sobriety
its the AV it will lie & tell you 1 drink is ok dont fall for it

here try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 04-24-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Matt \I think it's pretty common to have those thoughts about this time - you're far enough to forget the bad things about you and alcohol, but not far enough to really see all the great benefits of sobriety yet.

Don't confuse abstinence with control. They are not the same thing.

Remember all the reasons why you wanted to quit and the troubles you've had staying quit. All that is waiting for you again if you pick up.

If trying to stay sober has you jumping around like a cat on a hot tin roof - maybe it's time to look at your approach?

what is your support like? I notice you don't post here very much - that could be something that might help you more?

D
Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Matt,

The beginning is very difficult, but the payoff is amazing. Im coming up on 2.5 years without a drink, and id be lying if i said there aren't times when i think of how nice it would be to have a cold beer. But guess what, I made a decision to quit drinking because I know I don't like to just have ONE beer- I like to get sh*%faced. And getting sh*%faced was keeping me from being the man I needed to be-this was unacceptable. Take it one day at a time, because this is all you have-tomorrow isn't promised.

You made it through MCRD and Afghanistan, you can do this.

Semper Fi

Biff
Old 04-26-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

How goes it Matt?

D
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

76 Days is fantastic Matt!!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Matt,

On my previous quit which lasted about 2 3/4 years, I found the cravings to be the 2nd worst in the first few weeks and the absolute worst right around where you are now. No idea why.

However, I can tell you that if you give in you're going to feel a lot worse about starting over.

You can do it man. Go back to basics for a bit, HALT, AA (if thats your thing), snacks. I always found popsicles and ice cream to be awesome craving busters.

CJ.