Notices

Opinions wanted: should I quit?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, if your health isn't worth quitting for, maybe your finances are? Pretty expensive habit... And then when you throw all the legal fees in (chances are you will do something to get yourself arrested while drunk) then maybe that's enough incentive? You say you have a "mental problem". I don't know a psychiatrist in the world that would advise drinking for a cure.

Be honest with yourself. No good can come of what you're doing to your body.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

do you think I need to control it for my own sake?

try that and see how that works out. if it does, great. if not, then abstinence is the way to go. control is something most of us here couldn't do. we wouldn't be here if we could.

how do you meet new people other than at pubs? uh...hiking clubs, coffee shops, reading groups, nightschool classes, doggie trails, recovery meetings, community centres, volunteering...
Old 04-23-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zozoagogo View Post
First of all, I want to say I'm very new here, so I'm sorry if this post isn't okay for any reason. Secondly, I think most of you are in recovery, and to those people I don't know how to express the amount of respect I have. Pretty much all of it.

Anyway, the thing I want advice on is whether you believe I need to quit alcohol to be okay, and I don't want any of this 'only you can know that!' bs. I have no idea. I know you don't know, I just want to know what you think.

So I'm 20 years old, and everyone seems to think I should enjoy going out and drinking on the weekends, but I don't, I hate how I am when I'm drunk. So the way I always saw it, I enjoy drinking, but I don't want to make anyone else put up with me, so I drink alone. That was okay back when it was a once in a while thing, but now I'm drinking at least 35cl to 70cl vodka two or three times a week, and that cannot be good for my health. I wouldn't even be thinking it might be a problem if I weren't putting on weight. See, I see myself getting fat and I tried to stop drinking and I couldn't. I've been failing at that for like a month now, and I'm starting to realise, I don't have a problem yet, but one day this will be a problem.

I don't have a job or a family or any friends who care. So, seeing as how I don't need to rein in my booze consumption for anyone else, do you think I need to control it for my own sake? Not for my physical health, nothing you can say would convince me that matters, I just mean, for my mental wellbeing, should I quit drinking?

I'm definitely an alcoholic. But does it really matter?
I learned to NOT tell anyone not to drink. That's typically what problem drinkers or alcoholics hear from husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, siblings, clergy, employers, the courts, and alcoholics in recovery or recovered, etc. They tend to become jaded. DON'T DRINK gets worn out and just adds to denial. If anything would have a greater potential to work, it would be to tell the alcoholic to continue drinking, that will get their attention, because it's rarely something they hear. I'm sharing this from my recovery experience.

In the context of recovery vs. death due to complications from alcoholism, in retrospect it's easy to understand today why I finally recovered after numerous attempts to get sober. It really didn't matter what I did, drink or not drink as long as I was open for the lesson(s).

In essence what I did after each relapse is learn the lesson(s) re: the progression of my addiction. I was teachable and my body chemistry was teaching me the progressive affects of alcohol. As the saying goes, John Barleycorn is the best teacher.

In other words, I read everything I could get my hands on re: recovery from alcoholism. I listen to numerous people give me advice both alcoholics and non-alcoholics. I punished myself for relapse by comparing my attempted recovery to others recovery. These comparisons for me were shame based I'm not enough-ism competitiveness that didn't work.

When I realize the my recovery was totally unique to me and it was in my time and not anyone else's time, and I stopped comparing my recovery to others, I reached my bottom and surrendered. My bottom can only be defined, as that which immediately precedes surrender.