Notices

Still in the Ballgame

Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Still in the Ballgame

Wow, it has been quite some time since I've visited or posted. Many people have come and gone over the many years of coming to SR. There are many new faces, familiar faces, and a many long forgotten faces.

I'm alive and well and still in the ballgame. I've grown older as we are meant to do if we are blessed. My perspective on life has changed as I face new challenges in life. The circle of life is puzzling. That is just how the script is written. Overall, I'm still sober and living the good life. I fully intend to overcome any challenges I encounter in life. In fact, I think it is safe to say, so far, I'm getting pretty experienced at it. I can credit survival mode for that. Today, sobriety is just a part of life, thank goodness. I'm grateful to be able to say that. I can honestly say that my brain is still set to "sober". As always, very grateful for that privilege.

When I first started my sober journey, I always feared one day I would wake and the switch would flip back to insanity. It hasn't and I feel lucky to be able to say "I don't drink", with ease. Simply, I don't drink. That in itself is an amazing thing to be able to say with truth and confidence. The reason for making that statement, there was a time when I couldn't imagine life without drinking. I thought I would never be able to go a day, a minute without drinking. I have, I did and I can. So can you.

The other day I was reminiscing about this place and how it helped me over the years. I miss the encouragement, the camaraderie, the human connection that is shared with one another. And I find myself here once again. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about my sobriety and how grateful I am to have it. I know that isn't the case for everyone. I am one of the lucky ones. Sadly, since my last visit and postings I've felt the pain and sorrow of losing friends and acquaintances to their addiction.

I come back to offer hope and encouragement to those who are doubting their strength and their ability to beat their addiction. Although never easy in the beginning, it is doable. With time, you gain strength and momentum. However, never lose your healthy fear of addiction. It is very powerful. That fear is what keeps me sober today. It only takes an instance to throw it all away. I've come too far to throw it all away in the blink of an eye. I will continue to fight to never allow that to happen.

We all are fighting the good fight and want to overcome our fears and shortcomings. We do what we can and what we must, most times. None of us are perfect, but we can always strive to become a better person. For me, for all of us, the best we can be is sober. Just thought it was time to stop by say hello. If I can inspire someone to keep moving forward and to continue the fight, my visit was well worth it. It's nice to be back and take a look around the place again.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you LMM - glad to hear all is well

D
Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much LMM. I needed this.