Notices

Can alcohol change your personality

Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can alcohol change your personality

Can it turn you into something you're not?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
Yes.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
Brings out the devil in some.

Spirits signs seen on some liquor stores.

Causes me to seek an evil spirit at times.

MM
Old 04-15-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It changed me. From being a pleasant dependable outgoing person I became a recluse and couldn't be trusted for anything. Fortunately it changed back after I got sober.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Simple answer... yes. Deeper one... no. LOL It releases inhibitions but what's being inhibited is/was always there. That's the beauty of sobriety... we can actually decide what we want to responsibly reveal and what we want to not just inhibit but get rid of entirely.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I was drinking I did things that were out of character. Even when I was sober during my drinking year my worldview was pretty dark...so yeah it can.

doesn't mean we can absolve ourselves of the responsibility for things we did tho.

D
Old 04-15-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Makes you selfish-unhappy-angry-lonely- I think for the bad alcoholics that have been drinking for years and years it just brings out the very worse in us. We have so much more to give and the alcohol blinds us from that.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
When I was drinking I did things that were out of character. Even when I was sober during my drinking year my worldview was pretty dark...so yeah it can. doesn't mean we can absolve ourselves of the responsibility for things we did tho. D
I feel the same. I was more cynical and fatalistic in my drinking years. I retain some degree of both, but nowhere close to the way I was in my drinking career.
When drunk I also did and said things that I would never have said or done if sober. It was almost like another person was doing and saying them.
I've been surprised at how different my thought process is in sobriety. It was an unexpected but welcome gift of sobriety.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me it warped who I was and my thinking. I was absolutely convinced I was right when in reality I was wrong. The scariest thing is my distorted thinking occurred even when I wasn't drunk.

It took a good six months of sobriety to realize how wacked my thinking had become.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It definitely changed me - I was reckless and stupid. Oblivious to the mess I was creating.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Well, they say the conscience is soluble in alcohol.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Agree with a lot of the replies posted
Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Distorted my view on life. I was angry and resentful. With a sharp tongue that I allowed to run out of control.

I like the sober me!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol makes/made me bitter and resentful but it wasn't the only thing that contributed.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think many of us would sometimes like to dissociate ourselves from what we did when we were intoxicated. The fact is that we did these things, albeit while intoxicated. What we unleashed was a side of ourselves that many of us would like to believe does not exist, but it does exist, and our behavior is proof of it. That side of us is what Carl Jung called the "shadow".

The danger is not so much from the shadow itself but in our inability or unwillingness to recognize it as part of us. That's when it is most invisible and most dangerous.

"A man who is unconscious of himself acts in a blind, instinctive way and is in addition fooled by all the illusions that arise when he sees everything that he is not conscious of in himself coming to meet him from outside as projections upon his neighbor. " C.G. Jung "The Philosophical Tree"
Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not on this site because alcohol worked for me.

MM
Old 04-16-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It was not that alcohol changed my personality, I am who I am and I didn't know who that was for a long time because alcohol changed my perception of life and the people in it.

I did not view it as a healthy adult woman would.

I viewed life as a burden, not something to he grateful for nor cherished. I drank to escape that feeling but I never understood that view came from self and my own distorted feelings. I didn't know they were distorted so I felt I was acting accordingly.

It was not until I stopped drinking and remained sober that I could start to see that life and the people were not wrong. It was the way I viewed them, felt about them, interacted with them that was the problem.

After I was sober awhile I could see and remember how I felt as a child. The carefree feeling and the things I enjoyed. I had forgotten them, they were me and my personality.

I don't think it changes the personality as much as you lose it. I became a false image. Many if not all the things I did and said while drunk or drinking I would never do or say sober.

For many, finding ourselves after sobriety is the hardest part of it. When you are lost and don't really know yourself or who you are is a tough feeling. I think that is why many think if you remove the drink the person is going to be suddenly wonderful and all past behaviors are going to fall away but that is not always the case. If someone has acted or reacted a certain way for much of their life, removing the just the drink is not going to cause the person to suddenly know how to behave as a mature adult. They are not capable of that yet.

It takes time and recovery and the person has to be willing to see and learn a new way of living. It is not a perfect way and it may not always be the right way but if they keep trying and learning it will be better then the one they had before if their perception has changed.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I was a "normal" drinker we always used to joke that alcohol was a truth serum. That the way you behaved on the booze was who you *really* were. I still see an ounce of truth in that for "normies".

When you cross the line into alcoholism I think it changes your personality significantly for the worse. I did and said things I would never when sober, or "normie" drunk.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Well, they say the conscience is soluble in alcohol.
I absolutely love that line because it is so true
Old 04-16-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I used to become a sparkling conversationalist, tuneful singer of songs, vivacious joker, and athletic dancer, and all in my own mind too.
Luckily I don't have a video of what I was like to outsiders.