Notices

140 days alcohol free with Clinical Depression

Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

140 days alcohol free with Clinical Depression

Its been over 140 days with no alcohol and Its been a rough ride. The major urges went away after a few weeks. The problem is dealing with my depressive disorder. The meds I was prescribed no longer work. Doc is switching me to a different med which after 5 days doesn't seem to be any different. Way back when I was getting wasted once a week the meds seemed to work fine. Of course the 'once a week' thing always turned into an 'every night' thing so that is no longer an option. I'm not suicidal, I just have no interest in things, low energy, anxiety, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if this is just the way its going to be.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm beginning to wonder if this is just the way its going to be.
Next you might ask yourself If it is can i accept that and just move on with my life? Thats kinda how it went down for me. I actually just started to accept the hell. as that acceptence of things as they are spread the anxiety started to ease. I dunno if the 2 went hand in hand but i'm sure acceptance of my situation helped matters.

But give it time. 140 days is awesome. I wrote some stuff about how i was feeling at 6 months and when i look back i realize geeze even at 6 months i was a total mess still. But it got better for me.

Have you tried exercise at all for the anxiety? a daily walk did wonders for me though all to often just one walk isnt always enough. I also started eating better that helped too.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found when I felt like that the medication was the wrong one. I spent almost a year almost non functioning before I got them all out of my system. I remember realizing one day that I was happy and I just cried.

I now take medications that work for me. I have a team of MH professionals who work with me. My life isn't roses and kittens but I feel better.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 140 days thats exellent
Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

140 days and doubts? Lord help us. You have a large amount of butt whipped.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

AA zealot here, though I don't smoke and hardly ever drink coffee. I experienced a similar thing many years ago. After treatment I managed quite a good dry spell without AA, though help had been offered. I don't remember the exact time but it would have been close to the same as you. Lost all motivation, could barely get out of bed etc.

The domiciliary nurse immediately diagnosed depression and prescribed drugs which did not work. I believe that that was because it wasn't depression, it was alcoholism and just staying dry had not fixed the real problem.

There were two possible solutions. I chose the one that always worked in the past, alcohol. It worked immediately, I was able to function again for a short time. Then it took me on a twelve month bender during which the alcohol no longer worked. Once it stopped working I was left with only one option, AA. I took that path and never needed to drink again.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it was me, I'd give the meds time to work AF4good - at least a couple of weeks.
Of course if it's really making you miserable, go back and ask your Dr about things.

D
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

sounds about par for 4 months in recovery. that lull of no interest will fade and a new interest in things will appear bigger and brighter. Give Time more time and heal well.

For me, those 12 steps of sobriety changed my depression, the rest of what you are going through seems quite normal for your length of sobriety, at least I felt the same at that time and I am about to hit 4 years....things get better and better!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There was another poster on the newcomer's forum that struggled to have his depression controlled for quite awhile. He had to do multiple attempts at different antidepressants. Only recently, was he able to find an anti-depressant that worked and stayed sober while doing it (he's got to have 6 months sobriety by now). Talk with your doctor and keep trying and hang in there until you find something that works.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just wanted to mention his name is stewy84 so you can look at his threads. I thought they may be of some comfort since it can be helpful to know there have been others that have shared in the same struggle.