Notices

Stopped

Old 03-27-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopped

Had three. Poured the rest out.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you stopped, sleepie. Have some water and sleep if you can.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good!!! Now don't replace what you poured out! Drinking is never good for pre-diabetics
Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know. It's ridiculous but stressing about it led me to drink. Then I just though "How stupid" and poured it out. I hate the prediabetic label and want to reverse it but am so intimidated by it.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Sleepie)) - I'm really glad you poured it out.

I'm also very concerned about you and how this label of "prediabetes" is affecting you. I worry that you get so focused on it, it stresses you out and you drink. One of the things that's really not good for diabetes.

My dad was prediabetic. He used food as a replacement for cigarettes. Lost 20 pounds, numbers came back great, he celebrated by buying, AND EATING 3 dozen donuts.

Another friend is prediabetic, her sister is on insulin. She has focused on diet and exercising.

No one wants diabetes. I'm a former nurse, and I get that. I will say, though, that the majority of the people I saw with problems, were people who didn't stop eating or drinking things that are bad for diabetes.

I have an aunt who has been on insulin for over 40 years, and she's doing great! I have friends who have diabetes of the other type, take a pill, and they are also doing great.

I have no idea of whether you will become a diabetic. I do know that it's not the end of the world. I also know that drinking "at" diabetes isn't going to work, it could cause more problems.

I say this out of love and because I care about you. A lot of people here do. I just want you to care about yourself enough to tackle this in a healthy way.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-27-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed pre diabetic last spring. Took Metformin and continued to drink. Quit drinking and in 3 months no more needs and numbers are perfectly normal.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Court jester

Pre diabetic or even full blown diabetic = treatable and manageable, in some cases curable.

Drinking = unmanageable and will make any other physical issues even worse, never curable
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I know it's not the end of the world. But I am so scared it could be chronic pancreatitis. I read the first sign is often diabetes. Maybe it's just the beginning for me of something that is really bad. I may be worst case scenario-ing it but with my drinking history I have to be realistic. I just want a chance at a happy life. I met a great guy, he is wonderful to me. But it would be just like my life for something bad to happen after something good. My life has been a pattern of daring to be happy and then the other shoe drops.

And I know I am coming off as neurotic and anxious. Because maybe I am. But not without reason!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
And I know I am coming off as neurotic and anxious. Because maybe I am. But not without reason!
You need help in a number of areas, but most of all you need help getting and staying sober. You need to get serious about this.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started The Whole 30 today. My version that I can afford anyway.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I met a great guy, he is wonderful to me. But it would be just like my life for something bad to happen after something good. My life has been a pattern of daring to be happy and then the other shoe drops.
Especially if you believe this. Just as we prepare for and set ourselves up for success, we do the same in terms of failure.

To some extent, the "other shoe" always drops. Love, happiness, success...they're all fleeting in one way or another. Life itself is nothing if not impermanence. Living a good life neither includes nor does it guarantee being happy most of the time or living without conflict. Transformational experiences only bring us to a different place, a different vantage point from which we can (ideally) engage life's inevitable challenges, including loss, in ways that are more meaningful than previously.

The object is not to give up each time something changes, but to continue to "dare to be happy." The alternative is a lifetime of despair. But the happiness you seek will always elude you for as long as you don't put down the drink.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi sleepie,

I am a diabetic. Full-blown, Type 1, auto-immune disease, insulin pump wearing diabetic. I can do anything I want. I'm an earth scientist, I drive a boat when needed, I tromp around in coastal wetlands wearing very attractive chest waders and can do anything anyone else can do.

As a pre-diabetic, you have probably been told to eat a specific diet, count your carbohydrates, take your medication (if you have even been prescribed any yet), and get good rest and exercise. All really good ways of caring for yourself.

Pancreatitis is, to the best of my understanding, also incredibly treatable.

Please try not to awfulize about what you think might happen. I hope you come to understand that you deserve to treat yourself with care, dignity, and respect. You are worth it!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol is about the worst thing you can do for pancreatitis or pre-diabetes. Alcohol metabolizes as sugar.

I used to be really anxious too. Abstinence from alcohol was the solution to that, as well. Go out for a 30 minute walk today - it will help with your obsessive thoughts. Maybe look into meditation, too.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! "awfulize" that is the perfect word. I have to steal it!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been making myself do 30 minutes of brisk walking a day even in the cold. It's boring! But I do it anyway.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Exercise always lowers my blood sugar, improves my mood, and improves my sleep! Way to go!!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have the same tendency to catastrophize everything. Always expect the worst.. and it never happens. Certain of us tend to be more anxiety driven.

In my case, it really helped to understand how much of it was just my ego talking, sending out false danger messages in order to create chaos..
Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Seren I truly appreciate your encouragement... I think I must come off as a real whiner to someone who actually handles this and handles it well. You could see it that way and you don't. Thank so much.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this Sleepie you will love sobriety
Old 03-29-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thanks soberwolf