Notices

I'm going to try a new technique

Old 03-14-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to try a new technique

I am a weekender who wants to put a stop to that. I have put a stop to daily drinking, I have put a stop to benders. I want to put a stop to the Friday/Satirday thing. So, when Sunday morning rolls around I know I'm not going to drink. I don't even having cravings, its just "out of my head". Nor am I going to drink Monday thru Thursday. Incredibly, its very easy for me to do that. Its just a rule we have, and it sticks. So when Friday rolls around, I'm going to try and trick my mind into thinking it is Sunday or Monday, maybe that will allow me stop drinking on the weekends? Not really sure, in fact, I'm not really sure I am an alcoholic, I just like to drink on weekends. I just want to improve myself all the time. And I think that is a noble goal.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I am a weekender who wants to put a stop to that. I have put a stop to daily drinking, I have put a stop to benders. I want to put a stop to the Friday/Satirday thing. So, when Sunday morning rolls around I know I'm not going to drink. I don't even having cravings, its just "out of my head". Nor am I going to drink Monday thru Thursday. Incredibly, its very easy for me to do that. Its just a rule we have, and it sticks. So when Friday rolls around, I'm going to try and trick my mind into thinking it is Sunday or Monday, maybe that will allow me stop drinking on the weekends? Not really sure, in fact, I'm not really sure I am an alcoholic, I just like to drink on weekends. I just want to improve myself all the time. And I think that is a noble goal.
its a trip how people who are unsure if they have a problem with a substance have such a difficult time stopping a habit.

For years people made light of my addictions as if it was just so simple to stop doing them. I'd like to ask these same folks how about they give up ice cream or try healthy eating 24/7 many would fail yet it should be simple for me to give up a couple bad habits?

Or do they have a problem with there bad habits as well. I guess the question is at one point has our bad habit become a problem? I think it becomes an issue when we start to think gee is this an issue? then when we try and stop we go gee I'm having trouble stopping I guess this is an issue.

I like your tactic to try and not drink on friday and saturday. IT seems these 2 days are really killer for you.

Your friday saturday difficulties sound as hard as my any old day quiting was. it was down right brutal to go that first day without a drink. I'd imagine not dirnkingon a friday night must be really hard for you as well.

I paced those first few days drank a lot of tea and well climbed the friggen walls. I tried to distract myself with anything i could. once i got a few sober days under my belt it eased up some.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

just to add too my drinking started with just weekend drinking. then it got worse from there. I made more excuses TO drink rather then not to drink. Be careful you dont slide in that direction too.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm sure you thought of this, but people, places and things.

What accompanies your usual habit of drinking Fri/Sat? Going to a bar? Go to a movie instead. Drinking alone? Call someone you don't normally drink with and invite them out for pizza.

Soon you'll have new Fri/Sat habits and the empty place where drinking used to be won't be empty anymore.

BTW, I think you're doing great! I like your "noble goal."
Old 03-14-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did the same thing, only I would only have 3 drinks on Tuesdays and I allowed myself to get drunk on Friday nights and that was it. It worked for awhile (months, actually) but eventually the AV convinced me that an alcoholic couldn't drink like that and so I wasn't one. I began drinking more each time and more frequently. In reality, those without drinking problems don't have to set rules for their drinking. But that's just my two cents
Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So make a new rule. Like....I don't drink til May of 2094--or better yet--"I don't drink!" I use the last one and it works well for me.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I'm sure you thought of this, but people, places and things.

What accompanies your usual habit of drinking Fri/Sat? Going to a bar? Go to a movie instead. Drinking alone? Call someone you don't normally drink with and invite them out for pizza.

Soon you'll have new Fri/Sat habits and the empty place where drinking used to be won't be empty anymore.

BTW, I think you're doing great! I like your "noble goal."
Thanks Courage, my drinking habits are like a light switch, they are on or off. When they are off, its no big deal, when they are on, I get sh*tfaced (usually). I don't beat myself up too much, but I can do better. I'm very fortunate in the fact that I don't worry about going down the rabbit hole (which I've done in the past). I drink, I sober up for a week, then drink again. I've been down the rabbit hole, don't ever want to go back. But as I said, I can do better.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
I did the same thing, only I would only have 3 drinks on Tuesdays and I allowed myself to get drunk on Friday nights and that was it. It worked for awhile (months, actually) but eventually the AV convinced me that an alcoholic couldn't drink like that and so I wasn't one. I began drinking more each time and more frequently. In reality, those without drinking problems don't have to set rules for their drinking. But that's just my two cents
HI kaf, I appreciate your 2 cents. I really do.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
So make a new rule. Like....I don't drink til May of 2094--or better yet--"I don't drink!" I use the last one and it works well for me.
I wish it was that easy. Thanks anattaboy. I'll get there, it may just not be today.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you're listening to that Monkey on Your Shoulder's advice. Watch out for him, he's a crafty old devil!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monkey-my-sh.../dp/B004HW7MVW
Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

You've already tricked your brain by telling yourself you can trick your brain.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Non alcoholics dont think about drinking my friend
Old 03-14-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mpr

Mind over matter my friend. I know it sounds easier said than done but it is that simple.

Make plans to occupy the time you would normally be drinking, movie, run, whatever you like.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Non alcoholics dont think about drinking my friend
Of course they do. I think irresponsible and future alcoholics don't monitor their drinking. That's the problem most of us had in our early years, we didn't think about our harmful drinking. And slowly our bodies became addicted.

Do you think the poor guy slamming night train from a paper bag thinks about his drinking?

I commend the OP for trying to help himself.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nobel goal ? To this I agree. Now let us see how good it works for you.
MM
Old 03-14-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There have been a lot of posts about how this won't / can't / shouldn't work for reasons x, y, and z (my post included). But I want to remind you that everyone figures this out at their own pace. The fact that you are on here means that you must be somewhat concerned about your drinking but haven't had that epiphany yet or an event that forces you to reassess your drinking. I was fortunate enough that I had an epiphany about my drinking before anything terrible happened. But as many on here have said before me, it truly is a progressive disease and I have seen some lose everything they love because of it. I hope that you are right in saying that you are not an alcoholic. But on the off chance that you are, always keep an eye on your drinking habits. They will tell you more about yourself than I ever could. Best wishes, friend!