Notices

Tapering Off - Day 4

Old 03-13-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering Off - Day 4

Hi All,

I wanted to get your feedback on what to look out for when tapering off of alcohol.

About me: I've been drinking daily for about 2-3 years. For the majority of it, I would drink between 4-6 drinks a night and potentially more on the weekends (8-12 drinks). However, in the last month or so, my consumption increased to where I was drinking in the morning, having between 9-13 drinks a day.

I recognized I needed to stop this so I've decided to taper off of alcohol. I'm tapering off at around 2 drinks per day. I'm currently on day 4 and have consumed 6 drinks today.

So far the withdrawals have not been too bad but I have had insomnia, pretty bad night sweats, some anxiety and irritability. I also naturally get pretty nervous about alcohol withdrawal so I have som anxiety related to that compounded with anxiety from withdrawals.

When tapering off of alcohol, what do I need to look out for and what should I expect? Obviously, seizures are a warning sign but I'm looking to prevent those and severe symptoms altogether by tapering.

When tapering off at this rate, I would imagine severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms will not arise? Can anyone share their experiences with tapering?

I know this is not the best detox method as there is a temptation to relapse . However, so far I've been disciplined and seem to be doing fine.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tried tapering off and I got down to drinking once a week but the anxiety was so bad that I would wake up and my mind would start racing. Pulse would push into the 200s and I thought I was having a heart attack every 5 minutes. I eventually ended up in the psych ward. And I was drinking 12-14 a day to a 5th.

No idea if it will get that bad for you, but that's just my experience. I hope it works out well for you, just try to get a handle on it before it gets too bad.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Tapering never worked for me
Old 03-14-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tapering has worked for me in the past, it's very hard and a bad idea to try do it by yourself.

I know we're not allowed to give medical advice here but I would see your GP before you try.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And seizures aren't a warning sign, they are a real health risk and can give you brain damage depending on your health, and are preventable with the right treatment.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Grid! I tapered and joined this site to journal it. It is definitely not for everybody and most will tell you to see a dr. Here is my thread :http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...+heavy+drinker. You (and I) drink in the morning BECAUSE of WD's. I used shakiness and sweats as a barometer and of course checked my BP. PM me if you wish. If you are serious, this is do-able.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tapered also using beer but I kept a close watch on BP, HR and was ready to see a Dr. At the first sense of trouble. It can be done but don't be unwilling to change direction if you aren't a candidate. I can't say it's easy but I feel like cold turkey would've been harder for me.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, tapering not only doesn't work, it's pure torture. I am an alcoholic and if I'm drinking, I need to drink. One of the best things about long term sobriety for me is that I don't have to think about drinking all the time anymore.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I couldn't taper off of alcohol, I just had to choose to quit all together.