# 21 (permalink)  

For the problem drinker
drinking may still be a luxury
but for the alcoholic
drinking has become a necessity
MM
Old 02-16-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I always hoped, desperately that I was only a "problem drinker." That meant I could continue drinking.

I remember when Morgan Freeman was interviewed on NPR and he said that a "lush" loves to drink and drink a lot. An "alcoholic" needs to drink. I thought "we'll praise The Lord," I am only a lush then. Right? I'm a lush. Please god let me be a lush.

Phewwwww! The answer to all my problems!

A few more years and I realized I was an alcoholic looking for any reason (even the divine word of Morgan freeman) to confirm I could keep drinking.

Alcoholic here.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have never figured out if I am an alcoholic, problem drinker, or just a plain ol drunk. My dad used to say he was a drunk, not an alcoholic, because those alcoholics have to attend all those meetings. Myself, when I came here, on one cared what I was. If I wanted to quit drinking, they were here to support me. That is working for me. I now tell people, I don't drink, and it feels good. I can drive any time I want. I know I am not drinking to much and making a fool of myself. I remember everything I did last night. The list goes on. If alcohol is a problem in your life and you want to quit, you are in the right place. So thankful for SR and the fact alcohol does not control my life anymore. Good luck to you and know we are here for you when you are ready to quit, no matter what you label it.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think it's only semantics, but that's just my opinion. And the dangerous part is comparing the extent of your own problem with other people's. Like, there is the two-bottles-of-brandy-a-day-alcoholic. Compared to his alcoholism, my problem might look small or not so serious. But I know that if I continue drinking I will destroy my life and myself. That's enough to know I think. And the word "alcoholic" is stigmatized here in Germany quite a lot, I reckon in other parts of the world as well. Doesn't matter what you want to call it. It only gets worse if drinking is continued.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

At 8+ months I'm just a guy that does not drink--like 30% of the world population. It's not rocket surgery.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I have binge drunk in the past and an alkie friend said there are problem drinkers and alkies. what is the difference?

I went to aa in the past and related a lot but not to the bit about wanting to stop, i often have gotten drunk in the past because i wanted to but i want to be open and honest and figure out what god would have me do.

trying to figure out if im lying to myself or if its my history (being an adult child)
Glad you're here , great thread for all to read!
Alcoholics in alcoholism are indeed dishonest with themselves and others - it's a common thread. It's one of the things that keeps us drunk!

From an AA perspective, the Big Book discusses this. A heavy drinker may moderate or not. Of those who do not moderate many become alcoholics at some point. Some heavy drinkers merely grow up and change.

There is no skin scratch test to determine if one has the disease. Here's a few questions you may consider:

When drinking, do you plan on having 2-3 drinks only to find that you cannot or do not want to stop regularly getting drunk?

Do you think about alcohol often - plan on your next drink or drunk?

Have you ever had a blackout as the result of drinking? ( there are degrees of this.....)

Has alcohol caused and continues to cause problems in your relationships, work and social life?

When you drink, do others around you seem to sip a drink and you gulp a drink refilling much sooner and more often?

Have you attempted to moderate and find this does not work?

Is there family history of alcoholism?

These are merely a few questions to ask yourself - there are others, but for me I could check these all off readily.
For me at some point I crossed over and there is no going back. I cannot drink at all. Once I accepted this and accepted the solution life became much better for me and most importantly those I love and come in contact with - it simply isn't about me anymore.........

I will state that this question keeps more people out of recovery than any other.

A friend here posted this not long ago - I would rather go thru life believing I was an alcoholic sober than walking around drunk thinking I was not

Glad you're here - keep coming back!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My friend said I have acrophobia, but I think I just have a fear of heights.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

A label neither gives power nor context to a situation.

Take five minutes to brainstorm a list of things you would like to Be, Do, or Have. Ask yourself if alcohol is bringing you closer, or further from each of these things.

Then decide what role you'd like drinking to have in your life.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

whatever I am I've decided to put drinking aside. I think the thing I notice most is a strange sense of clarity, almos tlike an out of body noticing of things, mabye because there is a part of the world I will not partake in (work drinks etc.). and im ok with that today. I even went back to the gym last night. I came home and craved something and some sugary lemonade hit the spot which disturbed me a bit, but all your sharings have brought me peace.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Even though my husband doesn't pass out or black out like I did, he still needs to drink at least one day during the week, and he tends to drink in excess on that day(s). That is why I think he is an alcoholic.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grateful

A problem drinker is an alcoholic in training.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Like they always say, what does the label mean anyways?

Alcohol was ruining my health and killing my soul.

Happy healthy people do not drink massive amounts of alcohol and I want to be as happy and healthy as I can.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Its probably been mentioned, 20 question brochure, that everyone lies on.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This guy has been sober and active in AA since 1957.

I reckon he might have a few clues.

Worth a listen if you have a spare 50 odd minutes.

The distinction is made in the first ten minutes.

http://www.xa-speakers.org/pafiledb....n=file&id=2956
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

ta, in training. I find the meetings a bit scary sometimes, my dad was an abusive A, find myself bit triggered by it a bit, but good to come here and talk about it.

that link wont play for some reason on my pc...i really wanted to get smashed on wine tonight but didn't, managed to exercise which felt better then was looking fwd to get on here and post.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Right click on the download tab, save as.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I think the problem might be denial.

According to your profile, you joined this forum in 2004, and 11 years later you are still trying to figure out if you are an alcoholic or problem drinker. I think if you take an honest look at yourself, you may have your answer.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

might be. I can't say I;m an a today but i do have a desire to stop drinking and i have an issue.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

11 years and still wondering, wow, that is denial at its utmost!

To some they know they are alcoholic from the very beginning.

Others it takes a prison bit to get in a little bit of sober time to go over their life in a concrete cell. Or maybe a stint in the drunk tank or a visit in front of the judge.

Others, keep wondering and wondering..........until they choke on their own vomit and die the "rock star" death, or die in a car crash.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

i was on here orig. for adult child stuff. back in the day. thanks for the honesty