Notices

Dr. Phil

Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr. Phil

Today Dr. Phil did a piece on an alcoholic. It was hard to watch. But it was important to watch. All those secrets I had, I realized were not really secrets. It revolved around a woman who drank all day and all night. I have linked it below. I felt like I was watching a story about myself.

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Parenting While Intoxicated
Old 02-12-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I saw that - frightening.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have always wished I could have had a marriage, and children. But I knew early on that I liked a buzz to much so I never did. As much as it disappoints me at age 42 not to have these things... I am glad I don't because I would have just made a wreck of it all. In the end it is for the best, and I knew it then because my father was this sort, live life with a buzz and do normal things like procreate. But he had 3 marriages and 6 kids, the last two with my mom, and he quit drinking because of us. I was his last child, and never saw him drunk a day in my life.... my sister is ok too, sort of. I hate it for my half siblings.

I dont even watch dr phil lol. This spoke to me though.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, I just watched the promo you linked.....it looks really sad for all involved, I just can not handle Dr Phil, I liked him in his early days. When he started out and when he was with Oprah. He seemed insightful, caring and genuine, now he seems all about ratings and plugging his books and his other shows.
Now I feel he just seems to make a side show of people, disrespected, I feel humiliated for them..and uncomfortable. He usually finishes it with offering the rehab or therapy needed.
I hope the family recover.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you
Old 02-15-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In AA's Big Book Bill Wilson refers to the alcoholic as "terminally unique." I certainly thought I was different, that there was no one on earth like me. But after a number of AA meetings I realized I'm simply a garden variety drunk, mostly like every other "unique" alcoholic. I think that's why AA works so well for me, it's the support of other people who think like me that helps me not drink one day at a time. I'm not someone who can stay sober alone and thanks to the program I'm sober 23 years.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thank you
He has a youtube channel and I am watching it right now

Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Today Dr. Phil did a piece on an alcoholic. It was hard to watch. But it was important to watch. All those secrets I had, I realized were not really secrets. It revolved around a woman who drank all day and all night. I have linked it below. I felt like I was watching a story about myself.

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Parenting While Intoxicated
I am coming to believe the Dr. Phil show is staged, its the new-age Jerry Springer show (paid actors). The more I think of it, when I see it on TV, the more I believe its a fake show like every other reality show out there. I just flicked over Bar Rescue, they make the camera man look like he is hiding or something when these fools are doing their thing. Or the patrons/employees didnt notive the new cameras on the ceiling. The classic of them all is the Repo show, gunfire, fake.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
I think it’s important to focus on the message, not the messenger. Dr. Phil has probably had more experience with addicts face to face than most people on this site and that is heartbreaking to me because what failure leads to, misery and death.

BE WELL
Old 02-17-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The only thing show's like dr phil care about is selling commercial time. But if directs someone suffering to seek help, who am I to judge. There's several hundred other channels to watch.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had no idea dr Phil was still on. Not that I've ever seen an episode.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi.
I think it’s important to focus on the message, not the messenger. Dr. Phil has probably had more experience with addicts face to face than most people on this site and that is heartbreaking to me because what failure leads to, misery and death.

BE WELL
Exactly. I personally don't watch his show, but this about the message. Not your opinion of the man.