Notices

Now the drink has to go

Old 02-08-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now the drink has to go

Hi all,

Long story short, I'm a recovering opiate addict and in order to get my head on straight again I've quit weed 10 days ago. I used to spin my weed so I suppose I'm giving up on cigs too.

Since quitting my depression has gotten horrible, and the only thing that relieves it is a few drinks. However, I find that even if I just have a few the next morning my anxiety goes through the roof and makes my depression worse.

I guess I just want to ask if anyone has gone through quitting drinking and marijuana at the same time? There are a few things I'd love to pick your brain about.

Finally, I just did the MAST and got a score of 4.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A lot of people turn to alcohol when they give up other substances and then find out that they are alcoholic. It is because we addicts have addictive personalities and just substitute drugs. I would suggest that you give up all mind altering substances, as that is what true sobriety is all about. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not going to help your depression pal, I do know that much. I don't know what else to say really. All the best?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yah I know it won't... It's just the only temporary relief atm (exercise is good but only for as long as the workout is). Haven't touched anything today and don't plan to.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I smoked daily for about 30 years but weed got hard to come by so I was only a fitful smoker, here and there when I could, when I quit alcohol.

I got myself in a bit of a mess with the alcohol detox so truth be told the weed detox didn't bother me.

a few years before, when I quit the daily smoking, I got a bit irritable and had night sweats for a week or so but nothing too extreme.

I think you'll be able to handle both Lostinhk...it doesn't have to be graceful, it just needs to be done
see a Dr if you're worried about anything

D
Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I doesn't have to be graceful, I like that :P
Old 02-09-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

My recovery was not graceful LOL. But... I got there

D
Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree there is a worse withdrawal from weed than is generally perceived.

I've been learning about that here. And I think Dee said it best about the graceful part!

If you are going cold turkey everything its pretty much a given that your gonna have a hard time.

So its worth keeping that in mind if you start to lose the plot. Yes guilty here too LOL Man oh man...
Old 02-09-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I went into treatment and started my sobriety, I got free from alcohol and benzos.

I also gave up dipping tobacco and smoking cigars.

I don't miss the drinking, but I miss chewing tobacco and smoking a cigar from time to time.

Never was a cigaret smoker.

If I were you, I would consider letting go of these bad habits and addictions.

Keep in touch.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yesterday I didn't drink anything but water and tea, and although most of the day was horrible, I found that as I was in bed watching my shows at around 2-3am I really suddenly felt a lot better.

Fast forward 7 hours later, and after around 5 hours of sleep I'm feeling pretty crappy this morning, anxiety wise, but it's certainly not nearly as bad as yesterday.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yesterday I didn't drink anything but water and tea, and although most of the day was horrible, I found that as I was in bed watching my shows at around 2-3am I really suddenly felt a lot better.

Fast forward 7 hours later, and after around 5 hours of sleep I'm feeling pretty crappy this morning, anxiety wise, but it's certainly not nearly as bad as yesterday.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I quit both on the same day 8 months ago today. They were both related for me. Occasionally still have fleeting thoughts about the smoke, but no compulsion to drink. The weed just made me stupid and ravenous. Got to a point where in conversation I constantly lost my train of thought.

Really glad I detoxed both together.
Glad your here - keep posting!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I gave up everything at once. I had to, I was locked up. I don't recommend it but Did the trick. I found G.O.D.='gift of desperation.
I was on prescription drugs,weed,tobacco,coke,heroin, and worst of all booze. People die detoxing from alcohol more than any other drug. So if you get the shakes go to the emergency room. They have to detox you.
It doesn't sound like you have it that bad. Getting sober sucks, It's just the way it is.
You made at least one day,now just do it again. Take it one day at a time,one moment if you need to. It gets better. It's way easier staying sober than getting sober. It's a good life being clean.
I think you sound like you are well under way of recovery. Don't quit before the miracle happens.
peace-Jonathan
Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Jonathan, I appreciate it.

I guess one lucky thing about me is that I rarely, if ever, get cravings. Rather, I try to self medicate by drinking which takes away my anxiety temporarily. Blargh, mental withdrawals sucks.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there bud your doing good
Old 02-10-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks mate, am hanging in there.

Thinking back now, my drinking was really starting to get out of hand badly... Waking up with 8 empty longnecks on the floor every other day and puking from the mix of hangover and anxiety was not productive.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hope you're hanging in ok today lost
Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep on keepin' On Lost. It get's better.
peace-Jonathan
Old 02-10-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I quit weed and alcohol. I think alcohol was harder, more acute. I was a thirty year alcoholic. It was my life, a component of my personality. Now where I live they have totally legalized pot. It is sold and smoked all over the place. The best that is available on the planet. It would have been like a dream come true a few years ago! Now it just sharpens my resolve. Be strong Lostinhk. It will get easier as you give it more time.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, am trying to stay positive. Last night I had some crazy weird and vivid dreams, scary in some parts. Apparently this is a side effect of giving up marijuana?

Otherwise today I don't feel too bad, but I just wanna stay in bed and relax. Most days I force myself to get up and go out but I think today I'll just let myself be lazy.