Notices

weird feelings

Old 02-06-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JBDS1281

weird feelings

Two years sobriety is right around there corner for me. A little over a month to be exact. And for some odd reason tonight while I was at work I got to really thinking about stopping at the bar on my way home. It s strange because I could picture myself there sitting on that stool with a cold beer, and thinking how nice it would be to baa able to stop at a bar and have ONE beer but remembering that that's impossible for me. It wasn't as difficult to overcome as it was two years ago but it was weird only because it seems like forever since I've felt an urge like that. There was no trigger, I wasn't having a bad night no more stress than normal it just kind of popped into my head out of nowhere. It almost made me miss the old drinking days for a fleeting moment until I thought about everything that goes along with it.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats precisely why we need to be vigilant Í reckon JBDS1281

I had thoughts like that for a few years too. Not cravings - just thoughts..

Thoughts are thoughts - I can get some pretty craaazy thoughts

I reckon the quality of our recovery is not in what we think, but how we react to those thoughts.

I think you did well - congrats on 2 years JBDS1281

D
Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a very honest post. I'm seven months from my last drink and I have thoughts about drinking kind of like I think back to when I was 19 and had perfect skin. Occasional thoughts. No plans, more like Oh, I remember when drinking still worked. That was nice BUT long ago in the past. I guess just haunting memories really. It's no different than remembering the few good times you had with a toxic or abusive ex.

Drinking will always be a part of our past so I suppose we'll think about it from time to time.

I was thinking about the time I was on a cruise before I became a full-blown alcoholic. You know when that was? December 2004!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah it can snap back anytime.

They are just thoughts though

Good work on twenty three months
Old 02-07-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Around sobriety dates things like this pop up I don't know why but they do. You made the right decision you have great recovery to have almost two years congratulations on that awesome job!!!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through!! Onwards to 2 Years!!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Drinking will always be a part of our past so I suppose we'll think about it from time to time.
This line reminded me of what I was thinking about a few days ago while sitting in traffic on my way to work.

Although drinking was an overall negative (MAJOR negative), there were a few good times sprinkled in between my bad decisions. I suspect that one of the many reasons I continued to drink is to try and hold on to those days gone by. But the truth is, the memories (both good and bad) will always be there in my history. I can't go and drink good times back. I have to learn to accept that those days are gone and based on where I am in my life, and knowing I can't be a "moderate" drinker.... I have to accept that there is no room for alcohol in my future.

As much as I torture myself thinking about the negatives of drinking, I can allow myself to treasure the good times as well.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said