Notices

Moments you feel you are back on track.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Matt M

Moments you feel you are back on track.

After 2014 being a year of sheer hell due to alcohol (losing job, having withdrawal seizures, smashing face up etc) I'm at the point now where I can genuinely feel like i'm getting somewhere.

I had my last drink on the last day of November. This was shortly after the withdrawal seizures, unfortunately I became over confident and felt like because it was on cider and not spirits, then i'd be ok.
I was wrong, the withdrawals hit me hard so I spent two days scared I was going to seizure again.

Anyway, now on 7th February, I'm at a point where i'm happy that i've got somewhere.
At Christmas I had my first test of sorts when I was at my parents house whilst they were out, saw a 3/4 full bottle of whiskey in their drinks cabinet.
Neither of them drink spirits so it must have been a gift. In the past i'd have drank as much of it as I could and probably watered it back up.
I'll be honest, it crossed my mind. For about 3 seconds. But then I walked away.

Another thing is that I do a lot of online surveys to gain cash, Amazon vouchers etc, and sometimes you get sent free samples. Last week it was 4 cans of a new rum based alcoholic drink, so I simply had them sent to my parents address for them to have.

I started a new job on Monday and have just finished my first week of training, and I'm really liking it.
It's for a legal expenses insurance firm and i'll be an assistance advisor so things will be kept interesting.
I've been out of work almost six months since I lost my job and getting back into it all and earning money is such a relief as it means I can keep my house

All in all I know that my main danger is to get overconfident again and think like having a few drinks will be fine. But I know now more than ever that is really not a good idea!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope 2015 will be a great year for you Matt

D
Old 02-06-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope 2015 will be a great year for you Matt

D

Thanks Dee, so do I!

It's got to be a bad year when you are sure you've hit rock bottom and then a few months later realize you weren't even close when you do finally hit it!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember years like that

D
Old 02-07-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress and I hope everything at your new job works out in your favor.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, its a good feeling. Recently, I had a nuclear craving that made the day unbearable. Used the ''tools'' I gained this time, and made it through without drinking. Since that episode these last few days have been easy as $hit. Seems like I've gained sobriety strength after not giving in. Also feel like I'm getting somewhere this time.
Right on with the job, that sounds promising. Good luck!

like your avatar pic. haha whats that from?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
I know what you mean, its a good feeling. Recently, I had a nuclear craving that made the day unbearable. Used the ''tools'' I gained this time, and made it through without drinking. Since that episode these last few days have been easy as $hit. Seems like I've gained sobriety strength after not giving in. Also feel like I'm getting somewhere this time.
Right on with the job, that sounds promising. Good luck!

like your avatar pic. haha whats that from?

Avatar is Laura Palmer from 'Twin Peaks'

But yeah it seems easier now, just need to remember not to fall into a false sense of security.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

All in all I know that my main danger is to get overconfident again
Over confidence is a funny thing. its a delicate balance between being confident a good thing and in my case in an attempt to not be "OVER" confident I can be putting myself down not realizing it! Its almost like its best to just remain confident and not really focus on the over confident or not part with me.

Good job on the progress so far. Its nice when you finally feel like your making head way.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Matt! Glad to hear you are sticking with it. It sounds too dangerous to even consider drinking. So glad you like your new job!

Way to go on the holidays. I wasn't drinking over the holidays and watched everyone else, including my BF. It's really hard and you did it!

Keep up the great work
Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like things are looking up Matt!!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Matt