Notices

Unexpected Benefits of not Drinking?

Old 08-11-2004, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unexpected Benefits of not Drinking?

Hi

I wonder if anyone has experienced these or other issues. Where I can do more reading on the medical side affects of drinking?

I’ve been sober 15 months and was a heavy daily drinker my whole career, much heavier towards the end. I’ve noticed two changes since I stopped.

1 – When I would hold my hand in front of me with my palm flat and parallel to the floor I always had a slight tremble. I’ve had this for a long time and never thought about it when I drank. Now I no longer have that tremble, coincidence or related to drinking?

2 – When drinking my sitting heart rate was always 100+ beats per minute, minor exertion would push that to 150 easily. Now my sitting heart rate is 70 to 80 and goes to 135 when I work out hard. Again? Related to drinking?

I do not want to read too much into these but I am not working out enough to justify such a drop in heart rate activity.

Does anyone have any insight?

thanks
Old 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Al-

No doubt at all that drinking affects the heart, liver, brain, pancreces, and all other sytems connected to them. I do not have a link on the fxs of drinking on the body perhaps someone will come along with a link.

Congrats on your 15 months sober and enjoy your new found health bennifits of being sober....
Old 08-11-2004, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Congrats on 15 months sober!

to your second question... I can tell you that my heart rate vastly accelorated whenever I drank. I knew this by the fact that it wasn't so drastically accelorated when I didn't drink. And..... its slowed down even more since I've been sober. Also, my blood pressure was up when I drank.

To your first question....... I can't answer that because my hands always shake. I might have done some minor neurological damage with my last drink, though.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kimmer

definately benefits. heart rate goes up while drinking because your heart is pumping faster and after prolonged use the blood pressure goes up and causes your heart rate to be higher too. shaking goes along with it all. you were putting your heart through twice the work so now its going back to normal. the body can be forgiving. congrats on your sobriety
Old 08-13-2004, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Boots

Benefits

Hi Wis. Al,
Just happened to run into (not literally) this thread. My hands shook for my whole drinking career...24 years. Not any more. My blood pressure was 128/90 before I quit drinking. Now it's 110/70. My God, can it go ANY lower? Used to get heart palpitrations. Not any more. A bottle of vodka a day for years and my liver is fine. Hmmmm. Lost 20 pounds within the first few months. A bottle of vodka has a lot of calories! I never did quit eating. Just don't know how much I puked up! What a pretty thought.
Did you find your medical statistics? Hope so.
Boots
Old 08-29-2004, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Step working member of AA

God did for you what you could not do for yourself
Old 08-29-2004, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Baked Flounder. I have just registered at this site, and I am sober now for about 12 hours. I can say that I do experience all of what you talk of. I am hoping that this site helps me get through this. Any tips???
[email protected]