Notices

not sure what to do.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not sure what to do.

Hi friends and readers,

I decided this is the place to start to ask for support or see what I want out of myself. As for starters, I am a fairly young guy with a life ahead. The problem is, I love alcohol. Love it. I am Russian by birth, so naturally speaking I love Vodka (not to press the stereotype or anything lol). I never really knew about having a problem or not, until this past weekend.

I had a friend come up and visit my place and he was a big drinker like me. We got 2 handles of vodka and 5 bottles of wine from the liquor store only for two nights. And yes, we drank them all. I got to the point where I can drink Vodka straight very easily. I was raised in America, but when I travel back to Russia vodka is drank like a common juice with dinner. What really scared me was the fact on the second night I fell asleep for an hour after having vodka because I felt sick. I woke up and grabbed a bottle of wine and drank it all with my friend.

My career is a mix of computer consulting, but I am also a pilot. Let me be clear - I have never flown drunk or came close. It is serious when you put the lives of others at risk on a plane. And yes, I have seen the movie Flight.

I am looking for thoughts on what is going on with me. I haven't touched a drink since this past weekend, but before that I like to have 3-5 drinks a night - mixed or glasses of wine.

Hope to seek guidance...
take care.
Maksim
Old 01-27-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What's going on? Don't know. Can you drink without problems? It's a call only you can make.

However I will say the problems that I began experiencing in my early 20s never went away. They just got worse.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Maksim,

When I travel to Eastern Europe and look around, it is as if I am seeing an extension of my family in the States. Everyone looks familiar. Like me.

Does drinking alcohol offer you a sort of surrogate connection to your roots? I myself have a fabulous collection of etched glassware...all used for sharing alcohol. Although I do not drink, I cannot part with my sharing glasses.

Welcome to the forum. Life is so much better without the giant alcoholic detours.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not sure exactly what you are asking here. But if you are posting on an alcoholism forum,you must be thinking you have a problem.
The heck of it is,when you yourself aren't exactly sure if you have a problem,or not. 3 days from now when Mr. Vodka comes knocking on the door,all of this "do I have a problem?" thought will go out the window.
I would suggest you lay down a rule to stay away from booze for 90 days. If you find it difficult,or you can't do it. You will know you have a problem.

Fred
Old 01-28-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome nice to meet you Maksim
Old 01-28-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
Try answering these questions and act on the results.

Honestly answer yes or no to each question, tally your answers and compare to the scoring results at the bottom of the test.

1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking? Yes No
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy? Yes No
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people? Yes No
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation? Yes No
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking? Yes No
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of your drinking? Yes No
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking? Yes No
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare? Yes No 9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking? Yes No
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily? Yes No
11. Do you want a drink the next morning? Yes No
12. Does your drinking cause you to have difficulties in sleeping? Yes No 13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking? Yes No
14. Is your drinking jeopardizing your job or business? Yes No
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or troubles? Yes No
16. Do you drink alone? Yes No
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory? Yes No
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking? Yes No
19. Do you drink to build your self-confidence? Yes No
20. Have you ever been in a hospital or institution on account of drinking? Yes No

The Johns Hopkins test for Alcoholism is scored as follows: Three YES answers indicates a probable drinking problem. Four to seven YES answers indicates early stage alcoholism. Seven to ten YES answers indicates middle stage alcoholism. More than ten YES answers indicates end stage alcoholism. - See more at: Johns Hopkins Test for Alcoholism | Betty Ford Center
Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I came here because I was concerned with my drinking. I found that I was constantly thinking about when I could have my next drink. I also drink alone, and I spend way too much money on booze. It also leaves me feeling terrible- a whole catalogue of emotions that make me feel ugly. I hate feeling that way- so the time came when I knew that the only solution was to stop completely before I got worse. I've only been here a member for a few weeks, but it's the best decision I ever made. I hope every single day that I'm strong enough to see this through.

But, you have to try; to excuse a pun,- there are no half measures.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi.

Honestly answer yes or no to each question, tally your answers and compare to the scoring results at the bottom of the test.

6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of your drinking? Yes No
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking? Yes No
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare? Yes No 9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking? Yes No
12. Does your drinking cause you to have difficulties in sleeping? Yes No 13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking? Yes No
20. Have you ever been in a hospital or institution on account of drinking? Yes No

The Johns Hopkins test for Alcoholism is scored as follows: Three YES answers indicates a probable drinking problem. Four to seven YES answers indicates early stage alcoholism. Seven to ten YES answers indicates middle stage alcoholism. More than ten YES answers indicates end stage alcoholism. - See more at: Johns Hopkins Test for Alcoholism | Betty Ford Center

I remember the first time I took that test and scored around 17 out of 20.

I thought the scoring was pretty stringent but then I also used to think if I could keep my blackouts to a minimum I'd be good to go.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
I remember the first time I took that test and scored around 17 out of 20.

I thought the scoring was pretty stringent but then I also used to think if I could keep my blackouts to a minimum I'd be good to go.

Hi. Unfortunately I identify with you and I rejected the idea that I was insane!

BE WELL
Old 01-28-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.

Interesting scored a 15...Yikes!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Maksim!!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I went two weeks without anything and went back at it. I have about 3 large glasses a night most nights...so thats about probably 6 glasses normal sized. Urg. :/
Old 02-10-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Make a new day 1 dont let this continue if you want sobriety youl need support & you have us 24/7

Your call
Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here!

Lot's of great people and posts - look around and maybe you'll find some answers or questions you're seeking.

Kind Regards
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maksim

If you're unhappy with your drinking, you'll find a lot of support to stop drinking here

D
Old 02-10-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi.

18. Hoooowah!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Tragic article re Vodka drinking in Russia. A national disaster.

RUSSIAN POISON--ALCOHOL
Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would recommend letting go of the cultural aspects of Russia and drinking. Alcohol is a huge negative whatever nationality you are and it is certainly unhealthy for anyone to binge on alcohol as you do.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Whats going on with you?
Well you are most likely an alcoholic, only you can diagnose that along with your doctor. Which is recommended when you are detoxing because you can die coming off alcohol. Alcoholics drink for the effect, you like the numbness, the blackouts, even if it causes you more trouble in the end. If you look at it like a person who keeps burning his hand on the stove you would think that man insane, the alcoholic is insane. Keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Thats insanity. You must go to rehab, even though rehabs in general do not work, but it gets you on the right track. Try AA, I am sure there is AA meetings in Russia, Moscow even. Not everyone drinks alcohol, there are sober people in the world.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ex commercial pilot here!