Notices

How anonymous should you be?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Remarkably, I really don't share this with many folks - I say remarkable because as a younger man I would tell people wayyy too much. Always wanted to share the "good news" about how I was changing and what struggles I was going through.

Of course, this was simply part of being self centered. They did not need to hear things nor care.

Heard a joke - You know why your friends don't want to hear about your personal problems? Because 80% don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.......

My philosophy today is simple - I can tell people, but I can't untell them.
As another stated, when It comes to helping someone I have shared this intimate information with someone outside the rooms.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

i don't really think about this in reality... i find that because of the way i live, sober, that i don't find myself in situations where it even comes up. i'm an open book to those i'm close to and very private about everything to others.

as for work i feel extremely lucky to be good friends with my boss. i don't even know when or how my being a recovering alcoholic came to light but he is one of the very few people in my life who always remembers my sober anniversary! a wonderful part of this is that he comes to me with questions when friends and/or family seem to be struggling with alcohol. that's humbling...

it's funny because i had anonymity become much more of an issue for me in alanon. which i unfortunately had someone break very blatantly... this for me was more serious as i felt they were harming my love one's anonymity by breaking mine.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
My answer... "Thanks, but I don't drink."

No reason to explain further. It's none of their business, and they truly don't want to hear anymore if they drink at all. The non alcoholics don't bat an eye, the alcoholics leave me alone. Now I meet real friends. They don't need to know I am a recovering alcoholic unless we get intimate. And the longer I go without drinking, the less that even matters.
Exactly. I never use the word alcoholic, it's such a loaded word, but with a very small handful of coworkers I've gone as far as, "I used to drink, but it became a problem so I quit years ago". Only one, a close friend for years before and after I quit, knows the whole story, and I trust her to keep it confidential. "I don't drink" seems to work perfectly well for 99% of all people, most just don't care, it's like saying, "I don't like seafood".
Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Whether I drink alcohol or not is no one else's business. I've never had anyone ask but if they did I would simply say 'I don't drink.' If they were to ask why I would respond I just don't, and leave it at that. If they demand answers, they are being nosy. It doesn't have much to do with fear. It's my personal business.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i've told at work twice:
once a co-worker, who was returning from rehab and seemed lost. i offered him encouragement and options for support that i knew of.
another time, i told a shop steward when she had to go in to deal/negotiate/between this same co-worker and management. to add to her understanding. to dispel some stereotypes.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by markz View Post
You can hide very easily.
How bad do you want sobriety?

If you fall and end up in hospital, who will know, who will visit.

Sure you can hide. Many do. And they drink!
I think that not telling co-workers is not 'hiding'. It's setting a safe and reasonable boundary to protect me.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've told no one who didn't already know I was a drinker. An opportunity to do so just hasn't presented itself. I would tell if I thought it would help someone.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I draw the line at work. There are just too many agendas that may not be in my best interests.

Outside of work I am pretty open but only when it has a direct baring on the conversation and I trust the individual
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am not at all anoymous about my being a recovering alcoholic.

I was certainly a public drunk - I can document that label, by the way.

I was out in bars and taverns every night.

People solicit my help on drinking-related matters quite a bit, and I hope that my openness about my circumstances makes that possible.

I have practiced law now for 32 years - the first 5 years drunk and the rest sober.

I have never lost a client or a job from someone knowing about my alcoholism.

The above is nothing more than my answer to the question - it's not advice by any means, because this is a personal choice.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm sober 23 years and never tell colleagues, no matter how close I am, that I'm a recovering alcoholic. I'm certainly not ashamed of it, I just don't want people to gossip about me.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I feel the need to tell co-workers that I don't drink as I feel the need to tell them I don't eat beets. and that is none at all.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
I'm not nearly as anonymous about being a recovering alcoholic as I used to be. But I'm still hesitant at times to be open about it outside of AA.

I've found at work if I'm at a job long enough and get to know the people, which is currently the case, I eventually slip it out that I'm an alcoholic to some people. And I'm sure some of these people end up telling others that they know I'm an alcoholic.

The big reason I feel somewhat comfortable is I've been sober quite a few years. But I feel sometimes it could be a risk if they wanted to use that against me, especially if things ever got ugly or got competitive for a position.

Neighbors or friends outside of AA and work I usually don't mention it. But if I get to know them well enough I mention that I used to be a big drinker and decided to give it up, sometimes mentioning AA.

I'm just wondering how others handle their anonymity.
Do you feel compelled to potentially wear your recovery/sobriety on your sleeve? Is it anyone's business but your own? As far as the rest of the world is concerned, can't you just be a normal person who doesn't drink?

Personally, that's how I present myself to most people. Now, I'm not trying to hide anything; I have no problem discussing my problem with someone who may need help, but IMO there is no good reason for me to tell most people I had a drinking problem. Now, I'm just a man who doesn't drink.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

over the last few years i have tried to quit, slow down, etc...I tell co-workers,"not young anymore, wine gives me diarrhea, got to work tomorrow...etc..." I am an addict, i lie quite well.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
oak

I am getting much more open with people, including colleagues. It feels freeing to me to tell people. I haven't had any negative reactions. People react like it is no big deal.

But of course, everyone has to do what feels right for them in their specific situations.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

The only ppl that know im alcoholic are the ppl that need to know some close family my gf my Dr my neighbours (they knew because of my past)

I wouldnt tell a boss or co-workers im alcoholic as much as they wouldnt tell me thier bank details ...its private (for me anyway)
Old 01-29-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

sometimes its no ones business in the Whole World.. and sometimes you connect to another Soul of change.. for being a Good Mate of friendship.. old Navy Vet that I rode on the Bus with for years.. is an A and became like all of you and me.. in the time we rode together.. he had his up and downs and could push me a bit and the Old Marine stood her ground and gave him the hey Swabby what do you think you are doing kid.. hahahah he made a great Devil Egg.. we are pals on Face Book he found me again in Dec.. I had several great gifts this Dec 2014.... Ralph the Navy Vet being one.... my Hubby shakes his head and laughs for the love of his life the woman that stands her ground in the hospital ER for him will be just that a hand that is extend to another.. person that needs to be pulled back to the top of the Water... hugs kiddo you hold this SR Group tight for you are safe here...

hey all play this and hugs to all http://youtu.be/tYy_M4lrH54
Old 01-30-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Do you feel compelled to potentially wear your recovery/sobriety on your sleeve? Is it anyone's business but your own? As far as the rest of the world is concerned, can't you just be a normal person who doesn't drink?

Personally, that's how I present myself to most people. Now, I'm not trying to hide anything; I have no problem discussing my problem with someone who may need help, but IMO there is no good reason for me to tell most people I had a drinking problem. Now, I'm just a man who doesn't drink.
To me it's no longer something to be ashamed of. I do it for a few reasons. A large part of my identity is being a recovering alcoholic. It's who I am. When I work around others and get to know them, they usually end up talking about their lives, what their interests and hobbies are, many times talking about the pot they smoke and what they drink.

At first I usually hide that I'm an alcoholic. But eventually I start to feel suppressed if I can't tell people who I am and what I do outside of work. And I don't go around telling others all the bad and crazy stuff I did over my drinking career. It's more like I used to drink a lot, became an alcoholic, and I go to AA.

Amazingly the response is usually positive, even to those who drink a lot and do drugs!

Another reason I do it is cause I have a much better chance of helping another alcoholic. If someone at work has a drinking problem and is afraid to talk about it, they know they can always come to me.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Matt M

I start a new job on Monday and i've got to be very careful what I say seeing as I lied in the interview about why I left my old job!
I can't really add any new colleagues to Facebook either because i've been open about it on there.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Personally, I don't like lying. I have to try to remember what I said to whom... It is just exhausting. So when I speak I try to always speak the truth. If I feel I can't or shouldn't or simply don't want to speak the truth at that moment (like telling someone that is blathering on about politics or God or whatever) I am jut quiet. And then leave the area.

I used to drink too much too often. I don't drink now. Ever. That's not that interesting for me to want to share.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I don't go around with the AA triangle tattooed on my forehead but I'm not completely anonymous either. I told my bosses when I worked for a couple reasons. First, the fact that he knew meant that I couldn't play any games like calling in sick....unless I was sick. He also had my permission to give my name to someone to might need some direction. My priest knows for the same reason. I've had the privilege of being asked to talk to several people at church who needed help themselves or for a family member. At meetings,(closed meetings only)I give my full name. I remember several years ago a guy had been diagnosed with cancer. Some of us wanted to take a meeting to him in the hospital but we didn't know his last name. Caused a little bit of a problem. So, I introduce myself by name at closed meetings. The tradition says, "at the level of TV, radio and film." I do observe that policy but at other times, I use discretion. Oh, one more thing. I consider disclosure to be a safety tool for me. I remember going to a work Christmas party sever years back. I was sitting at a table with some other people and I asked if anyone would like a drink from the bar as I was going to get a soda. As I was waiting for my order, I turned around and a friend of mine was standing there and asked me what I was doing. He said, "I thought you didn't drink". I told him I was getting some drinks for the table and thanked him for watching out for me. People who know actually care as it turns out.