Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Were you excessive in other ways before you began drinking?

Notices

Were you excessive in other ways before you began drinking?

Old 01-15-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Having one switch and "One is good, more is better"... also common for me.
My motto was "12 is nice, but 30 would be better"
Old 01-16-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes as far back as I remember I have always been "something-freak", even years before I start drinking.
A few of my extremist activities included:

- Take Kwon Do: became very good and so into it at the age of 14-15,until I broke my left hand and stopped it !

- playing music: right after tae kwon do for a year, I was into it day and night ( playing keyboard) , and one day stopped it and till now never touched any keyboard/piano!

- in high school : a book-freak and study freak ( but with average results)!

- religion: I got sober with the help of religion and it kept me sober with 3 (painful) years and then I messed up everything in life. they call it dry sober right ? taking away alcohol, and not replacing it with steps ..for me was painful indeed!

still I am the same, but slightly better , coz at least I talk to my sponsor if I wanna start something new in my life.

cheers ~
Old 01-16-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to this - I have always craved any kind of intensity in whatever it is I am doing
Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yep I think many of us are more than simply alcoholic. I believe alcoholism is a symptom of for many of us, not the primary condition. I know that's true for me anyhow.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was never really a binge drinker, and before I became alcoholic my tendency to obsess or to be excessive wasn’t particularly abnormal (I think we all have it to some degree — it’s part of being human).

My alcohol consumption increased gradually as my tolerance did. It finally hit a maximum beyond which it only made me sicker. Would that I could have stopped at that point (or earlier) but by then the physical dependence and warped thinking/perception (the "mental obsession") had set in. I tried to stop many times unsuccessfully. It was years before the balance finally tipped and I truly wanted to be sober more than I wanted to be drunk.

I find that in sobriety I have even less of a tendency to obsess or go to extremes than I did before I became a drunk. It seems like the alcohol burned out most of those circuits. Or maybe I’m just getting old!