Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

did anyone's blood sugar improve after they quit drinking?

Notices

did anyone's blood sugar improve after they quit drinking?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Turtle82 View Post
If you're still borderline or Type 2 and haven't yet become a Type 1, then staying away from carbs will keep the blood sugar stable or at non-diabetic levels. Alcohol contains a lot of sugar (carbs.)
I've seen the opposite of this advice work as well tho. Avoid fats like the plague and embrace a high carb low fat vegan diet and the problem can also be resolved.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In that case grtgrandpa I have been looking at American Diabetes Association®
Old 01-13-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks for the timely topic. My blood glucose has been monitored by my doctor for some time. I'm now considered prediabetic and also have high cholesterol following my most recent check a month ago. I am not overweight but I did develop gestational diabetes with my son. An indicator of the chance to develop type II.

I have a year sober and when I had my blood checked last year I had a high blood glucose level. My doctor thought it might resolve itself because I had quit the drinking. She knew I am an alcoholic and was newly quit at the time. A year later, it's still too high. Higher than it was before. So, I don't know if that is any comfort too you but I'm not alone I guess. Diet and exercise for both the blood sugar and cholesterol is suggested.

I've done a bunch of dietary research and so far nuts, almond butter are good things for both. I've actually started checking labels on things at the store. Thanks for the link Sleepie. I will be checking that out too.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It's a good site Ruby, there are recipes on it too. I am thinking exercise is key. Lately I try to walk or move right after eating too.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I will recommend the book "It Starts With Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. They are the founders of the Whole 30 program. After I quit drinking I was stuffing my pie hole with all kinds of garbage (pizza, ice cream, fast food.) I have been sober a little over 4 months now. The thing was I think my body was addicted to sugar as well as the alcohol(loaded with sugar). The sugar craving manifested itself after I quit drinking. I was feeling hung over just from the food I was shoveling. Serious dizziness after bending over which happens quite a bit as I am a home improvement contractor. I had some blood work done about a year ago which showed liver enzymes out of control, with cholesterol and sugars starting to climb to "pre" stages.Now that I have insurance I will be going to the doc to get it checked out again. Anyway after I did the 30 day program I lost almost 30 lbs(probably not typical but I was working a lot of overtime and as sugar cravings started to subside I was able to skip meals without the "starving" sensation which probably contributed to the high weight loss. The Whole 30 lasts 30 days and although it was tough the first two weeks(flu like symptoms and such) it got easier. It is "paleo" in nature but does allow some carbs according to your activity level. I just started working out again too. Over the years"while I was drinking" I tried just about every diet. This isn't a diet but a life change. I'm 43 years old fyi. Even though it was a somewhat tough program, I figure I abused the hell out of my body for about 15 years, I owe it to my body to give it something back. This is actually my first post to this site. Been a lurker for the 4 months since I quit. I've read so many posts about symptoms from withdrawal and when will my appearance improve etc.. Let me tell you with my experience diet is the key to exponentially improving those aspects. I know quitting is hard enough but without a change in lifestyle symptoms and appearance will be a long haul with minimal improvements.
Sorry if this post is long but I hope it helps. Get the book and read it. Lots of stories about people that were prediabetic and a multitude of other health problems that were significantly improved after altering their diet and lifestyle. It's working for me. Will post my numbers when I get back to the doc. Probably a few weeks. Good luck and don't sweat the prediabetes thing. You are already moving in the right direction by getting that bastard of a monkey named Alcohol off your back.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am do for an A1C blood test, and appreciate all of the input. More later.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
i've seen the opposite of this advice work as well tho. Avoid fats like the plague and embrace a high carb low fat vegan diet and the problem can also be resolved.
wtf....