Notices

Sleeping! UGH!

Old 01-02-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping! UGH!

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. Been very busy with work and adjusting to the sober life.

It's now nearly 1 month since I put the vodka away, and also 3 weeks 2 days since I stopped smoking!! But my problem now is SLEEP!

I started sleeping more during the time I was drinking - in and around September. This was also the time my alcohol intake increased from 35cl of Vodka per night to around 3/4 of a bottle. After quitting , I had terrible insomnia and survived on hardly any sleep, and just generally felt awful.

But recently, I've gone back to the oversleeping...despite being sober?? I don't know if I'm getting good quality sleep or not... But if I'm not having a night of insomnia (which is usually followed by 8hrs sleep) I'll sleep for 10-12 hours?!

I have used the Diazepam to help me sleep (my GP prescribed it for this), but I don't want to get into a viscious cycle of Diazepam>Sleep>Sleep for 10+ hours...

Has anyone else dealt with this? I'm lucky because at the moment I work late shifts (15:00 until 23:00)... But in a few weeks I'm starting a 09:00-17:00 job, so the problems I'm having with sleep can't continue.

Hope you're all well
Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sleep should come with time. When I first quit, I was extremely tired all day, and then at night I couldn't get a wink. Over time that mellowed out and I started to sleep at night.

Now I am sleeping ok, and dreaming and remembering my dreams, it is a great feeling!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think extra sleep is normal early in sobriety--it is the body's way to heal.
Maybe start setting more structured sleep times with a ritual before going to bed
like herbal tea, hot shower or bath, reading twenty minutes and then set an alarm time
that allows you to wake slowly and have breakfast, shower, coffee, whatever.

You can reduce you sleep time gradually by waking up 15 minutes earlier every few days, etc. and get normalized again.