Notices

Its so boring being sober

Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jay37 View Post
Your making a straw man argument. No one said they find life is unexciting without a substance. I do plenty of fun and exciting things when I am sober. People on this site seem to be all about All-or-nothing thinking which is pretty much a mental disorder. With this disorder people often involves use absolute terms, such as never or every. This type of faulty thinking can also include an inability to see the alternatives in a situation or solutions to a problem.

Life is not a choice between black and white or all or nothing most of the time. Most decisions we make are not that black and white. Most people are not deciding whether to rob a bank today where there is a obvious right or wrong. They make decisions that have points for and points against. Most decisions end up in that kind of gray area.

This extreme thinking I find troubling. It gives people false choices. Either I am sober as a preacher every day for the rest of my life or I have or drink and 2 months later I will be living under a bridge. Extreme all or nothing thinking
Last I checked this forum was intended for people trying not to drink? So yes, you may get that vibe. That's the point of a forum dedicated to not drinking...you know, not drinking.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

drinking gets to a point where the trouble and horrible remorse and guilt and sickness gets boring. not sobriety. I'm at this point. not caring how i feel being sober, just riding the feelings out
Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by savarna View Post
drinking gets to a point where the trouble and horrible remorse and guilt and sickness gets boring. not sobriety. I'm at this point. not caring how i feel being sober, just riding the feelings out
I'm glad you're trying to address your alcohol problem. Keep it up.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Drinking is dull repetitive and very boring, groundhog day over and over, just takes time a mindset change to realise it.

My latter years of drinking I used to sit in bar with my friends and sometimes look at my beer thinking god this is so dull ! It was like I had to force myself to drink , really bizarre. Pouring a poison down ones throat to alter ones thought process , is that really what life is about ? How exciting , NOT !
this is spot on!!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

...Sorry if I overreacted to your last post. I may have taken in the wrong way. Anyway I did ok to one AA meeting. And I was not impressed to say the least. I felt like I had joined a cult. First of all I am not religious so all the God talk kind of turned me off and how I needed to believe in a higher power. I also did not like step number one saying im powerless over alcohol. I went to a bar last Saturday and had one beer and then walked out. I decided to have only one. Not powerless over my decisions.

My thoughts about not having another drink would be life would be that on the upside it would prevent any problems in the future that people on this site warn about. The downside is I think life would be very plain and ordinary. I like the adventure of going out and drinking on occasion and not knowing who I will meet and how the night will unfold. I have had some fun and memorable times when I have drank in the past and would be giving that up. And yes I do have plenty of other hobbies as well to keep me busy as well but I just enjoy going out on say Friday or Saturday night and having a few drinks. Adds a little spice to life if you know what I mean.

Not a troll either by the way just looking for some good feedback. It may seem that way because I am disagreeing with some points and challenging some peoples views on the subject. Reasonable people can disagree. Happy new year by the way
Two quick points: The vibe of AA meetings often varies greatly so might consider checking out a few more if you get a chance. And two, if you can drink socially and it works great. More power to you.

However, for many at SR we've come to the unpleasant realization social drinking isn't a good idea and do without that particular spice of life. Ultimately, only you can decide if drinking is a bad idea or not. I never liked how the term winners and losers is tossed around in AA People are who they are and drinking isn't a crime in most countries. One of the biggest revelations for me in early sobriety was the fact most people can drink responsibly.

Anyway, best of luck.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did not mean it to be an insult at all. Sorry if I offended anyone. I was simply responding to Arbor8's comments that I was immature
Two wrongs do not make a right.....

Rest assured, I saw the insults were not one poster and not one way.

My comments were to everyone.

Lets keep it civil guys - Thanks for your apology Jay

Dee
SR
Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

I drank pretty hard for 30 years or so and I got all the "excitement" that I wanted out of it. Like many here have said, the drinking lifestyle itself was getting boring. Tedious, actually. I'll be hitting four years of sobriety this year and I can honestly say that I've found this stage of my life to be anything but boring. At this point I don't miss drinking at all. I feel like I've broken out of jail!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I drank pretty hard for 30 years or so and I got all the "excitement" that I wanted out of it. Like many here have said, the drinking lifestyle itself was getting boring. Tedious, actually. I'll be hitting four years of sobriety this year and I can honestly say that I've found this stage of my life to be anything but boring. At this point I don't miss drinking at all. I feel like I've broken out of jail!

Thanks for your response. I think your comments are more based on your age more than anything. No offense. But if you drank hard for 30 years as you say I would assume you are in your 50's or 60 's. At this stage in your life you are probably more excited by a night watching golden girls reruns on tv then being at the bar drinking hitting on women. I am sure you feel this way at this point but not sure there is any lesson a 25 year old guy can take from your story. Your at different life stage.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response. I think your comments are more based on your age more than anything. No offense. But if you drank hard for 30 years as you say I would assume you are in your 50's or 60 's. At this stage in your life you are probably more excited by a night watching golden girls reruns on tv then being at the bar drinking hitting on women. I am sure you feel this way at this point but not sure there is any lesson a 25 year old guy can take from your story. Your at different life stage.
omg how rude........
go drink then....
only people wanting to recover should be here.....
no offense......
Old 01-21-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Administrator

and we're done.

Dee
SR