Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Could this be the beginnings of Alcoholic Neuropathy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got up to use the bathroom a couple of weeks ago, and I was walking back to bed I got a stinging sensation on my heel as if I'd stepped in something sharp/

Now I have them all the time, especially after I've been at rest for a while.

I can usually trigger the sensation my turning my hips with the heel of my foot planted on the ground. It happens on both feet.

At first I thought it was plantar fasciitis, but now I'm starting to doubt it.

I'm a new member, just started a librium detox (it's going so-so) and you can find my intro thread under that topic.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Bobby. You might want to post this in the Alcoholism forum too. Doesn't sound very healthy. Maybe time for a full physical. So why not go to inpatient detox where you can be monitored? Alcohol withdrawals are no joke! Hang in there bud and take care of yourself!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might want to post this in the Alcoholism forum too.
I moved it here

Bobby - there's no way any of us can diagnose you over the net. Are you planning to see a Dr?

D
Old 12-15-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It could be any number of things but I know this much, drinking alcohol isn't going to help it. Maybe time for a blood workup? It's against website policy to discuss medical issues but I can think of another thing right away besides alcohol that might cause that. Best to not make you any more nervous than you already are. Just please make an appointment somewhere to get yourself checked out.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Book a doc apt friend
Old 12-15-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Time to get to a podiatrist, I have to go as well. I have plantar fasciitis, it hurts like hell at the moment and untreated, it can lead to bones Spurs, numbness, swelling, etc.

But! You have to get diagnosed and given treatment for that or whatever else you think you might have. Make that appt.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I moved it here

Bobby - there's no way any of us can diagnose you over the net. Are you planning to see a Dr?

D
Yes, just went to ER yesterday for the Librium, and as good as I feel now I will follow up with their suggestion to Behavioral Health, come hell or high water.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Sudz No More;5078132]It could be any number of things but I know this much, drinking alcohol isn't going to help it. Maybe time for a blood workup? It's against website policy to discuss medical issues but I can think of another thing right away besides alcohol that might cause that.[/qoute]

It's not MS (I hope o_O

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Best to not make you any more nervous than you already are. Just please make an appointment somewhere to get yourself checked out.
To everyone asking me about seeing a doc, my platelets are high, my WBC is outside of two standard deviations, liver counts are normal, gonna go follow up again in a few weeks. Figured I should be off the sauce for that follow-up, just to remove any possible confounding factors, so that's what I'm doing.

Thanks all for the responses.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol is so terrible for every part of our bodies, from our brains to our hands to our feet. Who knows? Alcoholic neuropathy? Something else? I can almost guarantee that most, if not all of your health ailments will disappear with abstinence.

I can also almost guarantee that they will all get worse if you continue drinking.

I had about a dozen health ailments that were very apparent when I was drinking heavily everyday. I had extremely high blood pressure, pains in my liver area, pains in my kidney area, trembling in my hands, a flushed complexion, daily diarrhea about five times a day, profuse unexplainable sweating, vertigo when walking up or down stairs, Charlie horses, chest pains, irregular heartbeat, and what I believe was the beginning of alcoholic neuropathy in one of my feet.

I am five months sober and all of those disappeared.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to get gout and psoriasis and I was only 31 years old.