Notices

Settlling...

Old 12-08-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Settlling...

Hi everyone.

I have now been in the US ~8 years, but always on visas through employment as I was never this certain that I wanted to settle here and invest more into it. I don't have a green card yet, have been on visas. I would like to ask anyone out there in similar boats...

I have two major options to apply for permanent residence in the US, and for some of those of you in similar situations, these may sound familiar:
US EB-1A Visa ? EB1A Green Card for Aliens of Extraordinary Ability - EB-1 Attorneys in Silicon Valley, Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, and Austin
EB-1B Visa ? Green Card for Outstanding Researcher/Professor ? Immigration Attorneys in Silicon Valley, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, and Austin

Any experiences on preferences between these, costs, timing?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

No, But loads of good luck Heannie
Old 12-08-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's just that I think I meet EB-1A.
And my current employer want me (and everyone) to go for EB-1B. No other option they offer.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My university supports tenure track faculty for the 1B and they pay the legal fees, etc.
They are in essence "sponsors" and so usually there is no problem legally and it is a relatively easy process.

I don't know anything about the first one, but if your university legal team isn't willing to pay for / support it will you have to pay yourself, and what happens if you don't get it?

Finally, what are the advantages of the 1A relative to the the 1B aside from status?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

No idea but, you have two more years that Obama can amnesty you so I'd wait.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My university supports tenure track faculty for the 1B and they pay the legal fees, etc.
They are in essence "sponsors" and so usually there is no problem legally and it is a relatively easy process.
Exactly. I am one. They are more than willing to pay. Can I say ha ha, ironic.

what are the advantages of the 1A relative to the the 1B aside from status?
I had ideas of independence and doing it as an independent contractor but I do recognize that in my case, leaning on the academic structure that has always supported and nurtured me since my teens may be my best bet. I have never done anything else for a serious job, after all.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
No idea but, you have two more years that Obama can amnesty you so I'd wait.

Ha ha, trach... so maybe two more fun years on SR for me and then.... back to my roots

No... seriously, I am not afraid of all this... maybe just a little... but certainly no
probs arranging anything through my job. I think I just get paranoid every now and then... oh maybe time for some... ice cream!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, you can access SR worldwide.

Have some ice cream, relax.

Knock, knock, knock Immigration! Open the door, please!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think it is an "indentured" situation of sponsorship, is it haennie?

[i.e. once you have the green card and tenure, I would think you could move around to another university or into the private sector could you not?]

I would think long and hard about the kind of things corporations hire people who do brainwork for, however. . . pay might be great, but messing about with peoples mind's like defense subcontractors do, or helping corporations part the poor man from his fast-food dollar don't really strike me as your thing.

Makes our once-removed university situations more homey, doesn't it?
We don't have to actually apply what we think about, just think it up and publish
Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hawkeye - you seem know this "business" very well.

OK, so my situation. I was actually in a Tenure-track position even before I knew, in 2005, at age 31... then I came here, trading, for the third time in my life, really good faculty positions. You and everyone can see than most likely this "progression" since then has been a progression of an alkie.

So now, if I commit to my current job, they will cover and arrange all those green card things. I recognize that when I questioned all this, I actually also questioned my whole commitment to sobriety.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
So now, if I commit to my current job, they will cover and arrange all those green card things. I recognize that when I questioned all this, I actually also questioned my whole commitment to sobriety.
Why?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get it--I would stay, take the tenure deal where you are right now and make sure
to get the pubs to cinch the deal. It's a lot easier to write sober.

After that you can try for a lateral or upwards move somewhere else depending on your research.
Use the traction you've got there and don't jump again right now.

You know how the CV reads with too much movement before initial tenure.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Why?
Because it's like ice cream, Trach. Can't get enough

No, I will be serious because this is actually serious for me. It's the love of my life, job-wise, if there is such a thing. I've been wandering around the world and round jobs, for years... drinking or not... because I never quite felt at home with who I was, what was most natural for me to do, and what I really wanted to do. And where. I think I found this 'niche' a few years ago... problem was... still drinking over it. So I got sober this year, and for me, it's the same perception and realization, I was on a good track but could never self-actualize the way I dreamed... as long as I was drinking. So the drinking had to go, and I don't ever plan to bring it back. I'm very much an existentialist, Trach. I did not invent that sort of thinking, but somehow I was born into it and have cultivated it in my whole life so far. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Just don't know any other way of living, I guess. OK, so now I will really go and eat my raspberry ice pint...
Old 12-08-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Besides, if you are in NYC you can get some of the best freaking ice cream in the world round the clock.

Can I spell J-E-A-L-O-U-S
Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Because it's like ice cream, Trach. Can't get enough

No, I will be serious because this is actually serious for me. It's the love of my life, job-wise, if there is such a thing. I've been wandering around the world and round jobs, for years... drinking or not... because I never quite felt at home with who I was, what was most natural for me to do, and what I really wanted to do. And where. I think I found this 'niche' a few years ago... problem was... still drinking over it. So I got sober this year, and for me, it's the same perception and realization, I was on a good track but could never self-actualize the way I dreamed... as long as I was drinking. So the drinking had to go, and I don't ever plan to bring it back. I'm very much an existentialist, Trach. I did not invent that sort of thinking, but somehow I was born into it and have cultivated it in my whole life so far. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Just don't know any other way of living, I guess. OK, so now I will really go and eat my raspberry ice pint...
Love, no one invented existentialism. It is just part of some of us.

I want ice cream now.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I get it--I would stay, take the tenure deal where you are right now and make sure
to get the pubs to cinch the deal. It's a lot easier to write sober.

After that you can try for a lateral or upwards move somewhere else depending on your research.
Use the traction you've got there and don't jump again right now.

You know how the CV reads with too much movement before initial tenure.
Thanks a lot, Hawkeye. I think I'll stick with this job because I love it, and try to do my best and see where it all leads. I think my CV right now is perfectly enough for that green card. But not for me

Thanks again so much, friends
Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Besides, if you are in NYC you can get some of the best freaking ice cream in the world round the clock.

Can I spell J-E-A-L-O-U-S
You haven't had Mayfield Homade Vanilla.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, let's get out my trusty gelato maker and go right to town making it.

See you in twenty minutes.

That's a sure cure for the existential blues

I'll bring my guitar and we can sing a few bars
while the machine works its frosty magic on the *Cow sauce.

*not
our Cow's sauce, just Cow sauce in a generic sense. . .
Old 12-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

OK guys, so here is some love

Old 12-08-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Is there ice cream, yet?