Notices

How 'bout them sugar cravings huh!

Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Question How 'bout them sugar cravings huh!

Oh man..I know this is a common subject brought up here, but I guess I need a little reassurance from those of you who have walked before me..

I am officially 50 days sober today.. And as a binge-drinking alcoholic for the last few years, I think I am done with the booze for good..after many failed attempts, thank the Lord for that!

..but what I am noticing is different this time around, is an extreme craving for sweets.. namely ice cream..

What I am seeking reassurance about is mostly the length of time.. i.e. that I am not just being a piggy at day 50... personal experiences and stories are welcomed

Thanks guys
Old 12-02-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I eat 2 icecreams everynight.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey BarrysMama-

First, I wanted to say congrats on the 50 days! That's a fantastic step forward.

From what I understand, those cravings are pretty normal. However I did not experience them personally.
I think I am done with the booze for good.
That's great, however after the 50 days that you've already chalked up, along with your efforts, you might want to perhaps delete the word "think" from that sentence, so it reads; "I am done with the booze for good." If you're like me, and a lot of people in here, there's really no other choice.

Again, nice job with the 50 days and I wish you the best with your continued progress.

Lusher
Old 12-02-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I went from rarely eating sweets and never eating ice cream (before I quit) to becoming a real dessert hound when I quit.

I really didn't try to moderate too much. My body was craving the empty carbs and I was still taking less in eating sweets than drinking beer. At about a year, my appetite for sweets normalized.

I still like a cookie or two with my mug of tea or evening cup of coffee.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Hi BarrysMama, Congratulations on 50 days!!! That's terrific!!!

Yes, I too consumed a lot of sugar - ice cream, cookies, sweetner in coffee etc.....
For me, around 90 days I was able to cut it out - or at least wayyy back. Taking next step of eating more fruits and veggies.

I will say a nice orange now never tasted so good!!!!

Keep up the great start!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you will naturally cut back in time.

50 days is awesome, but still early days in recovery terms.

I think you will start to understand and recognize compulsive behaviors.

I have compulsive behavior around sugar in general, and have to watch my weight and nutrition pretty closely. If I get sufficient protein, fat, and carbohydrates from healthy food, I don't binge on sugar. If I don't go into the day with some kind of food plan, I can make too many calories come from sugar.

Congrats on your 50 days! Well done!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Thanks Lusher!!

I am excited about the 50 days as well!!

And to correct myself, I meant ''think'' kind of figuratively... I'm from the South so I speak in theatrical tones sometimes haha..

I am done with the drink for good
Old 12-02-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It seems to be a passing thing, the sugar cravings. It seems lots of us have them, and lots of us eat ice-cream, especially very early on.

If you think about it, wine is like drinking liquid sugar... what is ice-cream? Liquid sugar.

I went from indulging in Talenti, Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Dazs, Breyer's and a few other brands, to abstaining completely. At twenty months sobriety, I have moments where I'll crave some, indulge, and be done with it for weeks. It seems like a momentary thing for me.

No worries. Let yourself eat it early on, as long as you aren't a diabetic, of course! Then wean off as you gain more sober time and stability.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

haha i am almost 1 year sober at the end of december and have been eating a bowl full of ice cream with peanut butter and granola religiously for quite some time now. I get the low sugar fat free kind but it still does the trick. Luckily i ride my bike everyday otherwise i would be a blimp! Congrats on 50 days=)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome job on the 50 days I loveeeee my sugar at just over 60 days. I figure the new year will be a fine time to cut back
Old 12-02-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think it took me about 3 months to get the sugar cravings under control. The first few weeks I was eating lollipops, candy bars, ice cream, well just anything. It all settled down though. You're doing great BarrysMama.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like doggone carl said - same here. I rarely ate sweets and could have cared less about them when I was an active alcoholic.

After the first few months of sobriety, I went crazy with the ice cream. I went through an entire PINT of Ben & Jerry's in an evening more than once. I almost had to have it every day. It was bizarre to say the least. I think our body years for those sugars that were once supplied by alcohol.

Anyway, I am at 2.5 years now and I have certainly lowered my sugar intake. I rarely eat ice cream anymore, but I am definitely going to be that guy at dinner who makes sure to look at the dessert menu.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ice cream? ICE CREAM? You know I live with a spoon in my hand, right?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think everyone who quits develops a craving for ice cream. I've had so much, ice cream, sodas, pie etc, in the last few months that i have to get a diet and workout started.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
oak

I craved pasta when I got sober.

I tend to have a sweet tooth, separate from getting sober. I need to cut back.