Notices

14 months and wobbling

Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Bounced, I belong to the October 2013 class and lately we all have been lamenting that the "just one won't hurt me"/ "surely now I can moderate since I have learned so much" AV voice has come back strong for most of us. I hit 14 months sober on Saturday, so I wonder if there is something to this time period and cravings?!? The first year we are so hell bent on getting through all of the "milestones", that year two does seem to leave a little loose footing and no close enough memories to remind us how bad the alcohol cycle was for us.

For me, my self respect and feeling in control of myself at all times, is something I just don't want to gamble with. The "relief" of the short termed high just isn't worth everything that comes with it anymore. I think you are very wise to come back to SR. Reading relapse threads and how miserable those members usually seem to be, is enough for me to "take their word for it."
Old 12-01-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

thanks for this thtread
Old 12-01-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Bounce for starting this thread
I have hit 13 months getting closer to my 14 months, like you I have been wanting the drink but only for the pleasure of what I think is relaxation after a hard day at work. What is one drink going to hurt, but I know if I play that drink out to the end I will see myself where I was 13 months ago, in no control over my drinking, forgetting things and the shame of what I might have said or did.. but even with those thoughts I think I could still handle one. But Like DD said AV is coming back full strength after being silent for so long.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bounced, thanks for sharing your thoughts. DoubleDragons shared this thread in our October 2013 class thread. We are all at around 13-14 months sober and several of us are experiencing the feelings you described.

Personally, I feel like what others have shared ... the first year was all about milestones. Now that I'm on the second lap, the level of "excitement" has diminished. Been there done that. The first year felt like a vessel being being pushed out of the harbor by a tug. Now it feels like I'm under my own power and facing an open ocean.

Like you mentioned, I'm feeling the need to strengthen my spiritual foundation. If the first year of milestones helped to carry me along, I need something else as I move forward.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are things now Bounced?

D
Old 12-03-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I must admit I find it odd --one incident and five years later the trust still couldn't be restored. Well I hope you don't drink. Seems every time people on here mention having a relapse after a long time the drinking got worse than it was before
Old 12-03-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post
It's all my fault really. Infidelity. Just the one time (literally once) but the trust has gone. We have had about 5 years of counseling, on and off, but it just won't fix.
This is a difficult place to be, I know I went through this about 18 years ago.It took time, but he forgave me and now he never brings it up. If you want your marriage be patient listen when he vent, write him letters telling him how sorry yor are, and how much you care for him. Keep loving him. And I will pray for you.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It's all my fault really. Infidelity. Just the one time (literally once) but the trust has gone. We have had about 5 years of counseling, on and off, but it just won't fix.
This is a difficult place to be, I know I went through this about 18 years ago.It took time, but he forgave me and now he never brings it up. If you want your marriage be patient listen when he vent, write him letters telling him how sorry yor are, and how much you care for him. Keep loving him. And I will pray for you.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

P

Old 12-03-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

sorry about the post , I am having computer problems today.

Last edited by Deniselarkin; 12-03-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Mi spelled words
Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

but I don't have any spiritual influences.
This could also be part of your problem as well.

For me it is essential that I continue to enlarge my spiritual life because drinking or not drinking I can become spiritually sick. And this will eventually lead me back to a drink.

Congratulations on 14 months btw it would be a crying shame to give it all up and go back to a life of misery, believe me,I have not long escaped from that living hell.