Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

You can't stop cold turkey or with meds by yourself

Notices

Old 11-09-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not without some sort of medically supervised detox in a hospital or where ever. If you're drinking 25-30 units a day it's just impossible. You just can't quit cold turkey and certainly cannot do it alone. Even with dr prescribed meds.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

While it is highly unadvisable, many, many people have detoxed on their own. Did you just have a bad experience recently?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly wish I'd sought out a Dr.

I've made the very best of it, but I have on-going health issues and I'll never be the same again thanks to my last home alone detox.

D
Old 11-09-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. My doctor prescribed me Librium. I took one in the morning and it got rid of the pounding heart beat and anxiety for a few hours; then I took another 4 hours later (as advised) and my heart started pounding again, felt as though I was going to have a heart attack and collapse.

I waited 2 hours and nothing changed, I still felt the same with rapid heart beat, the medication did not work the second time.

I waited for it to kick in again but it didn't.

I have done this 3 times with the same result.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What could go wrong? Just curious. I know seizures are a possibility. And also how long is the detox for?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think the detox is 4 weeks in hospital. That's what I've been told.

Delerium tremens, hallucinations is what could happen and much more.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I think it depends on the person and how much and how often you drink. Many people are able to detox without medical care, but it is not recommended.

Personally, I used a medical detox facility. I was there for six days and used medication. After that, all alcohol was out of my system. Then I had to decide what to do next. They did not recommend inpatient rehab for me, so I did six weeks of IOP.

However you decide to go about it, you will never be wrong in deciding to quit drinking and pursue sobriety. Good luck to you! (((HUGS)))
Old 11-09-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In a perfect world, we would all go to rehab. I have this talk with people from time to time. In reality, how could you ever make that work as a single guy who has to work.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Death or permanent disability is pretty hard to make work too Kllme.

D
Old 11-09-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kllme View Post
In a perfect world, we would all go to rehab. I have this talk with people from time to time. In reality, how could you ever make that work as a single guy who has to work.
You could make it work but you'd have to let your HR dept in on what's going on to keep your job.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think you can take a medical leave to go to rehab and your boss doesn't even have to know why. I believe medical issues are always kept private, just as if a woman was having hysterectomy and didn't want the boss or the whole office to know.

I stopped on my own but I probably should have had medical assistance.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking daily I did it on my own.

But I was not physically addicted, and I did not tell anyone like a medical professional/doctor, or even family members since I didn't want them to know I was drinking so much.

Just go to a detox/rehab place, or at the very least tell your doctor or a medical professional. People have died from alcohol withdrawals.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I done cold turkey every single time in 3 months of trying

bar the time i was handcuffed to a hospital bed that was a forced detox i done it against my wishes

it is diffrent in everyone but i made a full recovery bar physical scars my mind is intact and im healthy

speak with a doctor always
Old 11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i know the condition i was in i should of seen a dr and had some sort of withdrawal drugs used as it is dangerous to stop cold
but of course i was drunk trying to get sober so no way could i think stright and i was just so used to trying to dry myself out for a day or 2 so i could do it again

but my last drunk was were it took me 4 days to dry out in terms of being able to stand up without falling over

so yes you can stop cold turkey i stayed in bed for the 4 days shaking and just trying to sleep hoping that when i wake up i will be sober but it just wasnt working
like i said it took me 4 days to just get some sort of dry head back were the room wasnt spining etc

but also i would like to point it out that it really is a dangerous thing to do as i could of died or had a fit all sorts of medical things can go wrong with drying out cold turkey but again i didnt know this at the time but i do today